Notices

question about staying sober

Old 05-03-2014, 07:34 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Short answer is yeah, maybe at first. But if you are an alcoholic like many of us here, it will never last. That probably sounds harsh but ya see the addiction never leaves us. There are scientific reasons for that you can research if you'd like. My advice is unless you like your past as a heavy drinker, don't pick up that first one because it can (and usually does) become your future.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:36 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Rar

They say this about quitting cigarettes too. You start out with just a couple and then soon you're at the amount and level of addiction you were previously.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:56 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Think about why you stopped 4 years ago. Why go through that again?
Old 05-03-2014, 08:27 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rar View Post
They say this about quitting cigarettes too. You start out with just a couple and then soon you're at the amount and level of addiction you were previously.
Interesting. I hadn't thought of it this way, but I know that when I started smoking again in rehab (just one here and there on breaks), I picked it up again and was smoking full time very quickly. It was a habit I'd never thought I'd bring back to my life. But there I was, scrambling for cigs and worrying about having enough for the next morning every night I went to bed. Huh.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:29 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Its very important to have a solid foundation to sobriety so when challenging events come along we simply don't drink and we are fine with that.

You could get some support and find out more about yourself, you could go to an AA meeting and see if you get some identification and a bit of direction on this one?
Old 05-03-2014, 11:37 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Retna

If you were the kind of drinker I was - and noone quits for 4 years for no reason - then I'd expect you you to right back to where you were if you drink again.

Think about it - will you really come off holier than thou if you don't drink?

There are many reasons why people do not drink - health, medication, religion, driving or other responsibilities, or just plain 'I don't like it'...there's no need to deliver an essay, 'no thank you' should be enough on a casual date.

Anyone who likes you and wants more than that will take your non drinking as part of that package

D
Old 05-05-2014, 10:19 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thanks for the responses.

I went out with friends and my date a few more times over the last few days. We had a great time, and they drank when the opportunity came. I stuck with a diet coke. I cannot say its ever easy to turn down a drink, and I realize that by not sharing my story/decision of sobriety I could be needlessly uncomfortable and inviting temptation. But my descent into alcohol and rise to sobriety has been so personal, that I am not ready for them to share in it. I hope I continue to make the right decisions in spite of everything. For tonight I am thankful that tomorrow I will wake up sober, like the 1458 days before it.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:12 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Retna,

Congrats on four years, that is awesome! Why risk that? I failed at moderation countless times. There is a reason you quit drinking, don't look back. If drinking socially is vital to your new relationship, you need to find a different gal sad to say. Stay tough!
Old 05-05-2014, 11:31 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

First of all I want to say great job and congrats on 4 years of sobriety! You have inspired me to keep on going, I'm at 13 months now.....

You could just say you are allergic to alcohol, if the question ever does come up. Some people have said they just don't like the taste of alcohol. Usually the subject can change pretty quickly after that.