Notices

Irritable & Irritated

Old 05-03-2014, 07:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Irritable & Irritated

I'm irritated that I'm irritable. 2 weeks. No cravings or desires to go back, but going forward seems to be going so slow.
Like coming home from a long vacation and realizing all the things that need fixing & overwhelmed by plan of attack.
I'm 20 pounds heavier than I was last spring and my daughters' lacrosse seasons are in full tilt. Which means appearances at games feeling dumpy and large.
Cringing at the years of stupid mistakes & thinking about the 12 steps that include making amends.
I'm going to do it right this time, AA, the 12 steps, exercising regularly ...
Not looking for an A, except for in effort, but I will do what it takes to NEVER go back there.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for the rant, after 10 weeks I know the feeling. But if I'm honest it HAS been getting better, 0.1% per day but every week or so I feel like I pass a new test or situation that reminds me things are getting better. Keep at it!
Old 05-03-2014, 07:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You are still in early recovery and there are a lot of ups and downs during this time. Treat yourself well and stay sober. This too shall pass.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Kudos for reaching out. Like everything else, this is temporary, and, unfortunately, part of the process, right? My first days of sobriety were dreadful in every way you mentioned. At least it's early spring and you still have time to get some sobriety time during the lacrosse season and get into shape, too, if you want.

Don't cringe into the future! My sponsor reminds me of today only--these 24 hours, and the current step only. If you've been through the steps, I'm sure you know they always seem more daunting when you're further away from them

Here's to a new spring/summer and new beginnings! : )
Old 05-03-2014, 07:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MnEman View Post
Thanks for the rant, after 10 weeks I know the feeling. But if I'm honest it HAS been getting better, 0.1% per day but every week or so I feel like I pass a new test or situation that reminds me things are getting better. Keep at it!
Congrats on 10 weeks!!
Old 05-03-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Dasautobatgirl, 2 weeks is FANTASTIC, congratulations. I read a book named Mastery and it describes how when we start out on a new endeavor we're all psyched up and after a period of time things slow down and we get irritated and progress slows down. You have reached a plateau and it is important to just stay on the plateau and ride it out. Perhaps focus on loosing those 20 pounds and AA to divert your attention away from the irritation. Rootin for ya.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well also when you stop drinking you have to feel your feelings. So allow yourself to be angry sometimes. Don't fight it. It will pass
Old 05-10-2014, 08:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dasautobatgirl View Post
I will do what it takes to NEVER go back there.
This is fabulous, never forget it! Congrats on your progress so far!