Notices

Triggers

Old 04-30-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Triggers

Hey all.

What do you do when you know you have a trigger in the near future? I have a binge drinking problem... But I really only binge during particular circumstances. And that circumstance will come up this coming weekend: my son will be sleeping over at grandpas house and my husband will be away for the Army. I will be alone. And when that happens, the quiet drives me crazy and I start looking to for plans; hang out at my cousins (where garage beer in abundance is a certainty), go out with the girls for drinks, etc etc.

What do you do to avoid the triggers. I don't know how to avoid it ... The lonely. And the urge to drink.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by unchartedxo View Post
Hey all.

What do you do when you know you have a trigger in the near future? I have a binge drinking problem... But I really only binge during particular circumstances. And that circumstance will come up this coming weekend: my son will be sleeping over at grandpas house and my husband will be away for the Army. I will be alone. And when that happens, the quiet drives me crazy and I start looking to for plans; hang out at my cousins (where garage beer in abundance is a certainty), go out with the girls for drinks, etc etc.

What do you do to avoid the triggers. I don't know how to avoid it ... The lonely. And the urge to drink.

Hi, how long have you been sober? I ask this because I found triggers were at their worst in the first month of abstaining, I basically had to avoid situations such as this early on, but being mentally strong will certainly help you in situations like this should you wish to go to your cousins.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Rar

Can you go to grandpa's house with your son?
Old 04-30-2014, 09:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

For long term recovery, we have to learn to deal with the "triggers" or "reasons" to drink. Being alone is a fact of life. Feeling lonely is not. I understand it's not as easy as saying "Don't feel lonely." But loneliness can be diminished. Work out a plan to keep yourself occupied...reading, movies, crafts. If you have to seek out the company of people, seek out those that don't fill their time with drinking. Sober activities support sobriety.

Furthermore, there is some level of integrity to sobriety. You are going to be alone, so you immediately think of drinking because you can get away with it...lack of accountability. You can be accountable to yourself. You've decided you are going to quit drinking. That promise isn't conditional on you being supported, kept occupied, or not being alone. Stick to your promise.

You can do this.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by unchartedxo View Post
Hey all.

make plans uncharted - be busy, do things...stay away from stores...post here regularly and often

if you've never been to AA (or one of the meeting based non 12 step groups like SMART or LifeRing) before this weekend could be a great time to start and get some real life sober support.

If you don't want to drink this weekend, you won't.

We may face a trigger, but we don't have to pull it

D
Old 04-30-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

We usually have a weekend thread, you are welcome to join us!
It helps me greatly, it gives me a sense of commitment.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I never thought I would ever say this. Why not get a 500/1000 piece puzzle and some herbal tea.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I face triggers knowing that each episode - be it a party, a stressful situation, a bad day, or whatever - is in fact nothing but a series of moments. And that during each and every single moment, I have a choice to drink or not to drink. I face the trigger choosing not to drink, and I continue to choose not to drink until it's over.

Thinking about upcoming triggers is less stressful when you are committed to sobriety, because you know that, no matter what happens, you will always have that choice. And you can always choose not to drink.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Those triggers are a bitch. Why not tell everyone the truth? I have told everyone that I know that I stopped drinking. When they ask why, I tell them the truth. I came to the realization that it is no good for my health. The fact that if I do I'll most likely drink a fifth of vodka and go pass out; no one but me to needs to know that.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
I never thought I would ever say this. Why not get a 500/1000 piece puzzle and some herbal tea.
Actually.

A puzzle and some tea sounds lovely.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Go to aa it's full of people just like us and it's actually fun
Old 05-01-2014, 07:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You know the puzzle idea isn't a bad one. I just might try it. When I feel like drinking it is usually because I am stressed and just want to "zone out." Working on a puzzle could be a way of achieving this without drinking. Thanks for that!
Old 05-01-2014, 11:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rar View Post
Can you go to grandpa's house with your son?
Ha. Going to my parents house for the evening is not less stressful
Old 05-01-2014, 11:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You know, I have never faced this particular situation, so it has allowed me to daydream what 24 hours alone would be like for me.

I think that in the evening I would go see a movie or even 2. Popcorn, soda, the whole nine yards. I would lose myself in the stories and enjoy being in someone else's world for a while. Just my idea of a good time!

At any rate, stick close to SR. Good luck!