Notices

Impatience...

Old 04-28-2014, 01:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Impatience...

I don't know what comes over me but the first word that comes to mind is impatience. I want things to happen and I want them to happen NOW!! Nothing is fast enough for me. I don't know if this is the result of having been raised in the video generation, wherein problems arise and are resolved in the span of a movie or even a 1/2 hour show, or if it's just a byproduct of addiction. Fir instance, when I was a teenager, Karate Kid came out. This puny little punk kid was getting his butt kicked all the time, met a cool, older Japanese karate master, and in less than 2 hours was kicking ass like a pro! I want that!

When I drank, nothing really got done, but I either didn't care that nothing was getting done or I was so caught up in my fantasies I imagined I could do everything...eventually...when I sobered up. 26 years passed me by, give or take, thinking that way!

Just sounding off about the space I'm in today. Been there done that many times and, again, I'm glad I'm on Antabuse because if I wasn't... Well, let's just say that's why I asked my doctor to prescribe it in the first place.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Brilliant go to AA, find a sponsor who has worked the steps as quickly as they could to recover from alcoholism and ask them to show you how to do the same quickly. You can recover in a few months with some hard work. Put your impatience to good use.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
KAD

I should have added that I am 2 1/2 months sober right now. I'm 48 and have been down this road many, many times trying many, many methods. This is my first time on Antabuse and so far so good. The specter of puking my guts out or ending up in the hospital serves as a great deterrent, and having to wait up to 2 weeks for the drug to leave my system buys me time to change my mood and my mind about the idea of drinking again. I choke that pill down before I even give myself time to think about it.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi GetMeOut

I was very impatient too - I wanted everything my way now.

I was 40 but I had a toddlers mindset in many ways....

Recovery taught me patience and understanding if nothing else lol.

2 and a half months is great but it's still early days...try and appreciate each day for what it is - a day free from the shackles...

D
Old 04-28-2014, 02:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
instant

Things have less urgency as the months ago. Having said that 'dissatisfaction' anf fear in various guises seems to be part of my make up. Now i am not drinking i have to learn new skills to deal with it.

Its working better than drinking did.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
KAD

Originally Posted by instant View Post
...'dissatisfaction' anf fear in various guises seems to be part of my make up. Now i am not drinking i have to learn new skills to deal with it..
Oh absolutely. Tied to impatience are dissatisfaction and fear. I feel overwhelmed and often have no idea whatsoever where to start to deal with things. In the past, I drank to deal with them, which meant I wasn't dealing with them at all. I just ignored it all and compounded my problems. One of the biggest fears right now has to do with financial worries. (Fear is a gross understatement. More like abject terror!) Buying booze all the time certainly did nothing to help my finances.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The Karate kid analogy was right on spot. LOL!

I was always wanting everything now since I was young. I would want a new game for my Nintendo and would freak when my mom would tell me to wait until my birthday. 2 weeks away
Old 04-28-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thanks for your posts very enlightening
Old 04-28-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's pretty common for alcoholics to be impatient and to want to be better right now.

But, as Dee said, patience is gained and it is worth working for. Learning patience was so beneficial for me because it enabled me to let go of trying to control things in my environment.