Notices

What am I doing wrong?

Old 04-25-2014, 03:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What am I doing wrong?

I've been sober for about 6 weeks now (I don't remember the exact date that I stopped but I know it was a Wednesday).

The issue I'm facing, if I'm being honest with myself, is that I really don't feel any better than I did when I was drinking. The mornings are the same except my eyes aren't as red, I don't sleep any better or worse, the nights are basically the same except I don't drink wine now (I drink a HECK of a lot of lemonade now for some reason).

I don't know what I expected out of being 6 weeks sober but I thought I'd feel somewhat better and I'm not sure I do.

Is it just too soon to tell?

Thanks
Old 04-25-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Give yourself more sober time to 'settle into' sobriety. If you still aren't feeling better by six months, see your doctor for a check up. Are you doing anything else for your recovery besides just not drinking? I had to make changes to my life after I stopped drinking. My drinking was just one part of my problems.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't think you're doing something wrong. What did you think you would feel like?
Old 04-25-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What are you doing for active recovery? If you are just abstaining from the drink then you might be in limbo between quits. I view sobriety as the first step in recovery. But recovery is much more than sobriety.

Good luck
Old 04-25-2014, 04:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Recovery is a lot more than stopping drinking.

Have you made any changes in your life besides stopping drinking?
Old 04-25-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Your body has come to expect alcohol, it doesn't just snap out of that. It has spent a long time altering the levels of certain chemicals to adapt to the alcohol, and now youve thrown everything off.

It takes a long time.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi HonestAndOpen

I had a few other complications,. but I didn't feel mentally or physically better for at least 3 months.

I drank for 20 years and daily for 5...it takes a little time for mind and body to repair itself from that.

The other side of the coin is lifestyle changes...

the nights are basically the same except I don't drink wine now (I drink a HECK of a lot of lemonade now for some reason).
Part of the problem for me was that I was still living the same life after I quit. Sitting on the coach watching TV was bearable when I was drunk but not so much now I was sober.

Try and think of other things you can do to keep you interested and motivated to stay sober.

Do you have any hobbies, interests - things you'd like to do? sports, exercise?

above all don't worry - think about all these things - you will feel better, I promise

D
Old 04-25-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by HonestAndOpen View Post
I've been sober for about 6 weeks now (I don't remember the exact date that I stopped but I know it was a Wednesday).

The issue I'm facing, if I'm being honest with myself, is that I really don't feel any better than I did when I was drinking. The mornings are the same except my eyes aren't as red, I don't sleep any better or worse, the nights are basically the same except I don't drink wine now (I drink a HECK of a lot of lemonade now for some reason).

I don't know what I expected out of being 6 weeks sober but I thought I'd feel somewhat better and I'm not sure I do.

Is it just too soon to tell?

Thanks
Hi, I don't think you are doing anything wrong at all, in fact I think it is just too soon for you to weigh up any benefits that sobriety brings. Look at the hard facts of drinking, the stress put on our bodies simply cannot be reversed In merely a few weeks or months I don't think. I am 5 months sober and it took me round about the 4 month marker to feel half human, lifting the fog,fatigue etc.

You will get there, I think too many people relapse because they expect too much too soon. Stay with it and you will be just fine. You are doing great congratulations.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I felt horrible and exhausted the first time I quit and it went on for three months. I think that for me, I was in a really bad marriage and being sober made it worse. It wasn't until I changed a lot of things to make my life better that I started to feel better.

I wish I could help - I know what it is like - I have been there.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I thought that once I hit that 2 week mark that I would be doing cartwheels and marathons and skydiving.... OK, maybe not all of that but you get my drift. The reality was I was like a slug - no energy and all I wanted to do was sleep! My energy slowly started to return probably around the 6 week mark or so and now almost 9 weeks in each day gets a bit better.

I was getting frustrated until I finally realized that I had drank daily for so many years that it was going to take time for my body and brain to fully adjust. Patience was never my strong point but I'm learning!