Notices

Is there hope?

Old 04-25-2014, 10:16 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

"I tossed all of the alcohol in the house"

A good idea that was. Learning to live sober takes time. I am now 3 days back on track.

What your state is the impulsiveness of our Addictions, the desire to have instant gratification, and to get things fixed quickly. For me it is.

I learned that from my last collapse, I have to learn patience.

Purpleknight has some good pointers in his post.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:19 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by snakes View Post
Thanks, all. I tossed all of the alcohol in the house. I just hope I can keep myself from getting more. What I've found is my conviction is very strong in the morning and then dissipates over the course of a day. Does that happen to you too? And, how do you deal with it? I will call people from AA although I don't think any of them will know who I am.
That is me everyday so far....
My usual drinking time was after I got home from work until I went to bed/passed out. Now it seems I need to make better use of that time. It's different for everyone. I spend more time with my kids, and I'm renewing my focus on old hobbies. Not to mention all the other stuff that's been neglected around the house that needs my attention.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:39 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'm sorry your feeling so down on yourself, no matter how many times we fall we have to keep on trying this just might be the time it finally sticks. Take care
Old 04-25-2014, 11:22 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

The fear is what if it doesn't stick and I drink again and I repeat this whole cycle again and again and again. What a hideous thought. It scares me.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:26 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I completely understand that's why you have to take it one day at a time. If you always do what you always did you will always get what you always got.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
painless

Smile

DEAR SNAKES... Your not alone when it comes to relapsing.. weve all done it before. but... u seem to realize what you did and why so thats a good first step. keep going to the AA meetings and find strength in marking off on a new calendar everyday your sober. my calendar has 41 slashes on it and that piece of paper means the world to me.. I wish you the very best in life because i know that you know you can do this... find u a good sponsor at AA and do everything it takes not to pick up that drink.. god bless... Painless
Old 04-25-2014, 11:34 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by snakes View Post
The fear is what if it doesn't stick and I drink again and I repeat this whole cycle again and again and again. What a hideous thought. It scares me.
It will "stick" if you make it stick. That means whatever you decide to do, keep doing it. If you decide you are going to keep following AA, go to a meeting every day. Go 3 times if you have to. Get a sponsor and call them every day, or call the numbers you have every day if you need to. The people at the other end dont' care who you are - all they care about is that you are calling because you are an alcoholic like they are and they want to help you - just like others help them when they call.

Initially it is very hard, i was a basket case for a week or 2 whenever I tried to quit. One thing that worked for me was to write down a daily schedule and follow it. Literally I marked down what I was going to do each and every hour of the day. When you get bored or don't have a plan that's when the negative/drinking thougts creep back in. If you know ahead of time what you are supposed to be doing, then there is much less of a chance for that o happen.

Know too that this becomes MUCH easier over time. Believe it or not, in time you won't even think about drinking anymore as you do now - it gets much, much better. You just have to get started and get the worst stuff out of the way first.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:27 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Snakes

Like Scott said - if you really want it to stick, and you're prepared to do whats necessary, it will stick.

I made a commitment to myself that I would never drink again. 7 years on, I'm still good

Some days, especially in the beginning it was hard but I went the extra mile to find support and did not pick up.

You get out of your recovery what you put into it. Give it all you got Snakes

D
Old 04-25-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Originally Posted by shalette View Post
I am only on Day 3 and I understand the feeling. I am determined and I know you are. I ducked my first AA meeting to go to Jazz in the Park but bc I was with my supportive cousins, they didn't drink either. My fear is in the house. My emotions overwhelm me and I get really depressed. I haven't had the courage to throw away the alcohol still in the house because I think I may be strong enough to just have one glass (which is the worst idea ever) so I stay away. That is probably the worst thing I could do to myself because eventually I have to go home. Each day its gets a little better and a little harder but, I know WE can beat this!!!!

Welcome to Day 1, there is hope!!!!
You need to throw your alcohol away too. Not good to have temptation right in front of you. Just dump it down the sink. You don't want to start over.