Notices

sponsor trouble

Old 04-24-2014, 05:14 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kellygurl1711 View Post
I'm having a huge pity party for myself right now. Gahhhh! I just feel like I'm going to explode!! Too. Many. Feelings. I'm overwhelmed with sobriety and everything it entails. Life was simpler before yet also completely out of control. Now it's just the same except I'm sober and feel healthier. Maybe I'm making to many changes too fast? I changed my sleep patterns[i now wake up at 7am instead of 2pm] i changed my eating habits, i exercise for at last 30mins a day now. Ask of these things have changed in the past 12 days. And now I'm venting on the internet. I feel like crying even tho most off these changes are good ones.
Kelly - this is normal. Trust me on this, if you slept till 2pm (or the other stuff) you would still have mood swings, short attention span, frustrate easily... that is your central nervous system starting to heal. Trust the process and continue doing what you are doing, and over time the pieces will start falling into place. Do what you can, keep going to meetings, make friends in the program, and find the sponsor who is right for you.

Most of all, be gentle on yourself.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:20 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I've realized i was just scared to start the steps of recovery. It wouldn't have mattered who my sponsor was. I'm not ready to start the steps yet. I'll just take it one day at a time and see how it all progresses for me. As for my feelings for this woman, I'll have to put those on the back burner. I can appreciate my feelings coming up without having to act on them. Plus its nice to feel giddy and happy around someone when everything else seems to be going wrong. So this is my plan and we'll see how it goes. Now, if after hanging out a few times i find out she's single or, better yet, a lesbian too! Well then i may have some trouble on my hands. Hahaha
Old 04-24-2014, 08:28 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Now, if after hanging out a few times i find out she's single or, better yet, a lesbian too! Well then i may have some trouble on my hands. Hahaha
Then hopefully, you will admire her from afar until you have a solid year of sobriety under your belt
Signed: The official party pooper
Seriously, it is not uncommon for people who are new to recovery to develop a puppy crush on someone in the rooms. I guess, it s a way for the av to divert us from facing our feelings and our addiction.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:44 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kellygurl1711 View Post
if after hanging out a few times i find out she's single or, better yet, a lesbian too! Well then i may have some trouble on my hands. Hahaha
For me if something like this happened to me (with either a guy or gal), I think I would just take it as any new encounter outside of AA. Not rush anything, just maybe observe the person at first and try to get to know them a little better, in subtle ways, relaxed. Not make any fuss about it. And if anything more personal develops indeed, keep it private and outside of AA meetings.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:26 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

thanks for all of your amazing replies! It's much better to get advice and decide what to do (or not to do) with support from you guys
Old 04-24-2014, 11:36 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Hi Kelly! Congrats on your 12 days!

I'm gay and in AA as well. A couple of things: my home group is gay. I think for me it was important to find that because I can be wholly honest at all times and I'm doing it with people who are just like me. They are like family now!

Also, I would discourage getting a sponsor you find attractive and fascinating, that could put your sobriety at risk right now. It is ok to have a male sponsor, and in gay AA groups it is really common. For me, I found a woman who I am not attracted to and who had what I wanted, sobriety, sanity and a sense of humor.

It is a good idea to get a sponsor, for me it took a month to find mine. I listened to people talk in meetings and chose from there.

Best of luck!
Old 04-24-2014, 11:52 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I ended up telling her that i am not ready to be sponsored [i haven't even gotten through the big book yet] even tho i think she'd be a fantastic sponsor. She didnt really say anything except she hopes to see me at meetings still. And now we're going for coffee after our 7am tomorrow. So that'll be interesting.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:55 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

you never know how it might turn out
Old 04-24-2014, 01:42 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Awesome! Sober friends are great!
Old 04-24-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScrewdUpInDe View Post
you never know how it might turn out
Hey my sobriety date is 3-13-14! Exactly one month before yours :] i thought that was neat
Old 04-24-2014, 07:16 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

You will be my inspiration kelly.