Notices

First AA Meeting Drunk

Old 04-21-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SkyBlueSky View Post
I went to my first AA meeting today. Everyone was really accepting, but I had a few Icehouses before the meeting, but I felt awkward. I don't know know how to "tap" into the positive energy. Not because I am cynic, but the joy seems absolutely joyless ... forced, if you will. I am thinking of going tonight, but I don't know if it will help. I paid my bills; I am broke. I can live another month alcohol free, but sometimes I'd rather be alone. Any advice?
I would keep going as they appear to be very accepting of you if you had a few drinks before going don't you think?

I would not be judging anyone just yet, I know you haven't enjoyed it on this thread so far, because there are people in the room that are truly sober and living a life.

I know people who drank before and between meetings for months before getting it and then getting sober.

You are in the right place, keep going to meetings. I did 5 years ago, I'm still sober and living a life that I thought would never be possible. After a few meetings why don't you ask one of the old timers who appear genuinely happy with their life how they did it?
Old 04-21-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm willing to bet you're not the first guy to walk through the door who'd had a couple for dutch courage SBS.

I think it's commendable you're trying something new - I hope you give it a chance

D
Old 04-21-2014, 02:41 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

The only time I have seen drunken people or people under the influence being asked to leave a meeting is if they were totally disruptive. Getting up and wandering around, talking while other people were talking, etc. I've been buzzed before at a meeting. I've gone to get something to drink after a meeting. I didn't get so much out of my meetings while buzzed or planning to get something to drink because my mind was focused on the alcohol and not on the person speaking so even though I heard what was said, I wasn't listening. Keep going. Keep hanging in there. Something will stick.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

That's great that you went to a meeting!

When I was new, I was definitely buzzed for some morning meetings (for some reason it was easier for me to be sober for the afternoon/evening meetings, but then I'd often hit a liquor store right after the pm ones...)

I've seen many drunk people at meetings and as long as they're not creating trouble, it's really not a big deal. Where else is a drunk supposed to go?

It's where I found the solution in how not to drink. As my first sponsor said, "If you could stay sober on your own, you wouldn't need to come to AA in the first place."

Don't stress too much about it, just do the best you can and try going to more meetings. I found getting a sponsor and working the steps helped me more than anything. And helping other people, too.

Take care.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I did also go the a meeting once, clearly intoxicated. After the meeting, the chair person offered me a ride home, he was a cop. Being drunk as I was, said; no thanks- I am good to go. He didn't pursue it, nor report me, thank God. There was an angel looking over me (and others on the road) that night.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:30 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by littlefish View Post
Well, once I was in a meeting and a guy came in drunk. We said: come back when you're
not drinking. We didn't say come back when you're sober. The only requirement for membership in AA is a desire to stop drinking!
Then why did you not let him in? If the only requirement is a desire to stop, just because someone was drinking doesn't mean they don't have the desire to stop.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
I know people who drank before and between meetings for months before getting it and then getting sober.
Now you know one who did it for years. Between out patient rehab visits and probation reports too.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

And oh yeah, court dates.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
Then why did you not let him in? If the only requirement is a desire to stop, just because someone was drinking doesn't mean they don't have the desire to stop.
In AA if a member is considered to be disruptive or aggressive they may be asked to leave but will be welcome to come back another time. In some meetings this is read out in some it is taken as read. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Hit a meeting you will learn about all this stuff, unless you already do then ask someone about it:-)
Old 04-21-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Sorry, but P.S.: IT DIDN'T GET ANY BETTER UNTIL I STOPPED.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:52 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SkyBlueSky View Post
I went to my first AA meeting today. Everyone was really accepting, but I had a few Icehouses before the meeting, but I felt awkward. I don't know know how to "tap" into the positive energy. Not because I am cynic, but the joy seems absolutely joyless ... forced, if you will. I am thinking of going tonight, but I don't know if it will help. I paid my bills; I am broke. I can live another month alcohol free, but sometimes I'd rather be alone. Any advice?

I felt akward when, after a few drinks, I ended up around people not drinking. it could be ya felt that way because you had them drinks in ya.

tappin ino the positive energy may require to first go to meetings without alcohol in yer system. the joy may have seemed joy7less becuae of the alcohol ya drank.
go to some meetings without alcohol in ya. open yer ears and listen. see what results ya get that way.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:59 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

It's very hard to go the first time. I sobbed the entire time.
I didn't know where to go, what to do, etc.
I'm glad you made it.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

My advice is to keep going to meetings, no matter what. I've known plenty of people that either drank before or after meetings for a while until they really started getting into the meetings and sobriety. You are far from alone with this problem. Don't worry about names or anything else for that matter. Just showing up is enough of a challenge for most of us. Do your best to relax and listen. Other things will happen when they are suppose to happen. Be good to yourself. You're trying, that's all that matters.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:55 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

As someone who has only recently gone to aa let me share my experiences.

1. You are totally messed up mentally. You are not thinking straight. In fact your mind is actively trying to con you and tell you you are ok. You cannot get this or comprehend this in the early days. You have to take it as fact from previous people. It involves a leap of faith. You don't have to bet the house on this leap of faith but you should try to consider that you are mentally wrong, you can't see it but you will see it once the fog lifts. Keep an open mind.
2. No sudden changes will happen. There will be no thunderbolt or divine appearance. Slow and steady is the game.
3. Don't spill your guts in aa meetings. Any messed up stuff you share with individuals. Protect yourself. When you get properly sober you can tell everyone everything and you won't care and you will be able for it.

Best of luck
Old 04-21-2014, 06:20 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Finnie View Post
1. ... You are not thinking straight...
3. Don't spill your guts in aa meetings.
I agree with 1. It's called "stinkin' thinkin'.
I'm not so sure I agree with 3. While I know I certainly tended to babble when I was drunk, and in early recovery, I think it's better to get things out of your system than to bottle them up. I've found that most people at meetings have been there "a while". While there are some rigid exceptions, most remember only too well how it was at their beginnings and are very understanding of, and welcoming to, newcomers.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

As for #2, it took me 6-7 years in and out of meetings, jails, hospitals and rehabs to "get it". Hardly sudden. But once I finally hit bottom and "got it", I believe the change was rather sudden.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:19 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

When I first started to go to AA, I went to a meeting or two and got drunk afterwards but never before. Strangely where I go to AA the biggest liquor store in town is right across the street. I made a beeline to that store a few times after meetings. I started a big binge and stopped going completely losing hope and going dark. As such, I don't see the purpose of going to a meeting when you are drunk and/or binge drinking on the side. I could see going when you slipped up once and want to get back on board again after an honest reflection with your sponsor or counselor. I know this is tuff talk but if you want to drink - drink, but don't try to drink and be in sober recovery at the same time. That will bring doom.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:28 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DefconOne View Post
When I first started to go to AA, I went to a meeting or two and got drunk afterwards but never before. Strangely where I go to AA the biggest liquor store in town is right across the street. I made a beeline to that store a few times after meetings. I started a big binge and stopped going completely losing hope and going dark. As such, I don't see the purpose of going to a meeting when you are drunk and/or binge drinking on the side. I could see going when you slipped up once and want to get back on board again after an honest reflection with your sponsor or counselor. I know this is tuff talk but if you want to drink - drink, but don't try to drink and be in sober recovery at the same time. That will bring doom.
I stopped by liquor stores after meetings a lot DefconOne and no, it didsn't help me one bit. I also went after drinking (never stopping really) quite a few times. But as they always told me to do, I kept coming back. Eventually the message started to sink in.