Notices

journey down addiction ln. navigation help wanted!

Old 04-19-2014, 09:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

journey down addiction ln. navigation help wanted!

hello. this is my first time posting and first time attempting to support a person with an addiction ti pain pills. i hate to label people; its demeaning. went to first NA mtg and listening to people say their name preceding *im an addict* felt wrong. plus its hard for the newbie to find someone who may be addicted to same drug to seek assistance or b.t.d.t help. a pain pill addict may not relate to a heroin addict. help would be different too.
anyway..my story. my AH confessed to a pain pill dependance. i strongly suspected n questioned but if your all here u know people w drug addictions lie. steal. use. manipulate etc.

on one hand i am glad he admitted it. he trying to detox. its hard. im trying to support. its hard n at times easy.

my questions right now.
1) how do you support 100% and deal with the resentment the addiction caused? lies..control..abuse at times to maintain control or during w/d. and the stealing and the financial reprecussions. not to mention the emotional toll to me.

2) when, if to tell kids. all 16 and older.

3) is it a good idea to have my AH post here for help as well. ?
4) how much and what kind of support to give? how much on his own. where do i fit in this.

thanks.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Lynn

I don't know about anyone else but I don't find the label alcoholic or addict is demeaning for me.

Other people may think it's demeaning, or they may even apply it that way, but for me it's simply what I am.

I think the label is far less important than what we do about our problem tho

In regards to your questions, I think other members here will be able to answer fromn experience way bnetter than I could.

You should also check out our Family and Friends forums:
The Alcoholism and Addictions Help Forums- by SoberRecovery.com

D