Notices

Going to party sober

Old 04-19-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going to party sober

Well - it's done now. 3pm til 8.30pm. 5 and a half hours of being the only person there not knocking the alcohol back. Thankfully the hostess' partner only drinks a little, so he was fine. He's hoping my influence will rub off on his missus. Hmmm.

My best mate drank her whole bottle of vodka (she thinks) and then wanted to leave with me. Both on bicycles. She wobbled along for a bit in a Laurel and Hardyesque fashion, then I said we should walk. She copped a strop with me for telling her what to do, so I said, "fine, well I want to walk anyway. You can go ahead on your bike if you want, but I don't want to be with you when you get splatted off your bike." More moaning and me trying not to bite her head off all the way home - which was about 45 mins walking. Feeling a bit stressed now, BUT I DIDN'T DRINK ALCOHOL! Yay me. Left her at her place doing the "I loves you, your me bestest innit" routine, but she'd added a new bit..." and you're the strongest person I know - you're a f~@*ng ins..ins..yeah that thing innit..." etc. etc. Bless her. Almost feel guilty for refusing to let her in my house, but I needed to get solitary again and quickly. Phew!!

Sorry for the ramble, but it was a bit trying, truth be told.

At the same persons party last time it was me who downed a bottle of gin (70cl) and then started on the Cava. Ended up in quite a mess. So although the party itself was more difficult, the aftermath will be SO much easier. No falling over. No tears. No drunken rows with the OH. No vomiting. No blackout. Although I have a headache now, it will no doubt have gone by the morning.

Off to bed to read my book. Oh how things have changed!!
Old 04-19-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well beccybean. How'd it go. Still no dri k
Old 04-19-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm glad you made it Beccy. It gets easier each time we make it over one of those hurdles. You'll be so happy when you wake up with no hangover.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great to hear you made it through!!
Old 04-19-2014, 03:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you stayed true, beccybean

D
Old 04-19-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Kudos to you!! I personally cannot stand to be around drunk people (yes I get the irony in that I was that drunk person for many, many years ). You did great!!
Old 04-20-2014, 01:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. My OH came in at 2.30am and woke my up with his drunken stumblings as well. It's all a bit tiring dealing with other people who are drunk. I shall have to remember this when I'm doing my lists of people who I've hurt when I'm doing The Steps. I've got a headache myself this morning from the stress of it all - well, maybe from too much sugar yesterday as well. Need to look at ways to satisfy craving more healthily - maybe fruit and complex carbs. Just making some porridge with banana, cinnamon and golden syrup. Hopefully that'll sort me out.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beccybean View Post

the aftermath will be SO much easier. No falling over. No tears. No drunken rows with the OH. No vomiting. No blackout.
sure sounds like a better way to live -- sober

MM
Old 04-20-2014, 01:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Recovering

Fantastic.

And I love how you tell the story :-)
Old 04-20-2014, 04:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Not sure how you do it... Unless you have been sober for a long time. I avoided all parties unless family get togethers for the better part of a year.... Good for you though. Subsequently I found it is more fun to watch people get wasted and do stupid things but that wears off pretty fast
Old 04-20-2014, 05:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Way to go!!!! That's awesome!
I personally have a harder time when my husband drinks vs my friends. Idk why that is. Maybe because he has been the recipient of my emotional cries for help. Anyways? Kudos to you on a job well done!
Old 04-20-2014, 06:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
High Wire Girl

I admire your fortitude. It's a weird trip to see things as others do. But important in order to recognize how valuable this perspective is.
Drunk on a bike is dangerous for teeth. We really need our teeth. We only get one natural set.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Dangerous for all parts of our bodies when sharing the road with cars and lorries!!
Old 04-20-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ontherightpath View Post
Way to go!!!! That's awesome!
I personally have a harder time when my husband drinks vs my friends. Idk why that is. Maybe because he has been the recipient of my emotional cries for help. Anyways? Kudos to you on a job well done!
Hard to take second hand alcohol when they breathe on you! LOL! Happy Easter!
Old 04-20-2014, 09:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

EGGSELLENT Beccybean, job well done! Happy Easter! Stay Strong and Well ! Bobby
Old 04-20-2014, 12:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

OHHHHHHHHH my goodness. Bank Holiday weekends are rubbish. SO hard to put up with all these drunken people, esp my OH who just popped back from the pub to check I was okay and ask if I'm cooking some dinner, before 'popping' back out to the pub. Jeeeeeeeezzzz.

SO pleased that I had an AA group to go to yesterday lunchtime before the party, and again this evening (when I was feeling lonely and self-pity was starting to creep up on me) or I might have gone completely mad by now. I am so grateful for the fact that I've found the AA. Honestly, going along was the best thing that could have happened to me. Anyone who's thinking about it and uncertain, please, please, please, just give it a go.

to AA