Notices

Why I don't play the powerball

Old 04-17-2014, 10:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why I don't play the powerball

Not sure where to post this but I was thinking about this all day , maybe some of you have simmiliar thoughtse
My thought was what if I purchased a state lottery ticket and won a jackpot +1mill.

My very first thought is I would have to imediatly go to a lockdown rehab, I've only been sober for 18 days I'm pretty sure I would think a drinking celebration was in order and would probably go on a binge of unprecedented proportions, thats only short term. As my life is now I still have to be somewhat funtioning inorder to meet my financial needs these needswere my only divider between drinking at night and going to work hungover vrs drinking at night and waking up and drinking.
The more I thought about it and thought about myself I came to the conclusion that under almost all circumstances winning a huge amount of money would at minnimum cause huge temptaion at maximum cause my death. I decided to no longer play lottery games after this revelation .

Has anyone had similar thoughts ? does it indicate a weakness that I can't imagine staying sober in certain situations ?
Old 04-17-2014, 10:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nope, not at all. It is realistic thinking. I don't go to bars anymore, either
Old 04-17-2014, 11:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm far enough into sobriety that I don't think I'd go back to drinking if I became rich overnight. Sure, I'd blow a lot of money on weird and stupid crap but not booze!
Old 04-18-2014, 12:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

if you have all these options open up to you ..you might find it easier to stay sober...you can go anywhere you want..do just about anything..and no worries
Old 04-18-2014, 01:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi, as you get stronger these thoughts should disappear, but as a precaution you'd better not win the lottery.
Take it as a warning that good fortune might challenge your sobriety, and think about why that's the case.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've always dreamed of winning big, and using the money to start a center for the visual, literary and performing arts in my community, with a big enough endowment to fund scholarships forever. I even have most of the board of directors picked out. I rarely buy tickets, though.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had the exact same thoughts. I would probably hire a therapist with a 2 year contract to stick around really close.

I would take the opportunity to open a huge lake side resort where I could have unfortunate kids and their parents come spend some time.

I would stay close to nature. I have to live near to the city because of my job. I hate it. I prefer the serenity of the woods.

Anyway, I agree it can be a dangerous thing to win for addicts