Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

I am convinced that I will die. My doctors appointment is next Thursday

Notices

Old 04-16-2014, 01:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I posted earlier. Unfortunately I did not stop the Google searches. I made an appointment with my doctor but it's not until next Thursday. I don't know what to do until then. How will I be there for my son when I am so scared that I can't stop crying. The main symptoms that I have been having are itchy skin and bruising. Sometimes I think that my legs Swell as well. other than that, I can't say I have many other symptoms. I exercise and eat well. But those two always show up with roses
Irrhosis. my fiance is always pointing out my bruises. I am beyond terrified. It seems like most people here never got to this point point. End I don't know how I'm going to hang in for the week. I feel really like it too late for me even though I have stopped drinking.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Laissez, in the past, when I have stopped drinking, those same symptoms have disappeared within a couple of weeks. Just saying..... I don't think it is a death sentence, yet.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry, auto correct changed your name
Old 04-16-2014, 01:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by StormiNormi View Post
Laissez, in the past, when I have stopped drinking, those same symptoms have disappeared within a couple of weeks. Just saying..... I don't think it is a death sentence, yet.
do you mean specifically the itchy skin and improving? and what about bruising?I know a lot of people have said there's something we went away but it doesn't seem as though I found anybody who has the same symptoms as me. Sorry I'm just a basket case.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Good for you for so many things. For stopping drinking. For making your appt.

Just hold on a minute there Bessie no need to put yourself in the grave just yet...

I bruised constantly. I was full of Adema (alcohol dehydrates). When you replenish those lost fluids, everything kinda holds on for dear life and swelling starts. Usually around day three I would start to release some of the fluids.

Itching is very common is alcoholism. It had to do with both histamine releases as well as nerve ending damage. This is usually very temporary and should subside with abstinence.

How long have you been drinking and how much ?
Old 04-16-2014, 01:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

First of all, STOP reading Google for medical symptoms. They convince everyone they will drop dead tomorrow. Worrying about it will not change anything, so try not to drive yourself crazy with worry about it. Just go see your doctor, describe your symptoms and be honest with him about your drinking. I'm sure it's not nearly as bad as what you have yourself scared to death of.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by luisalehz View Post
I posted earlier. Unfortunately I did not stop the Google searches. I made an appointment with my doctor but it's not until next Thursday. I don't know what to do until then. How will I be there for my son when I am so scared that I can't stop crying. The main symptoms that I have been having are itchy skin and bruising. Sometimes I think that my legs Swell as well. other than that, I can't say I have many other symptoms. I exercise and eat well. But those two always show up with roses
Irrhosis. my fiance is always pointing out my bruises. I am beyond terrified. It seems like most people here never got to this point point. End I don't know how I'm going to hang in for the week. I feel really like it too late for me even though I have stopped drinking.
Try to relax as much as much as you can, Anxiety is a viscous circle as is doctor google, I suffered from anxiety and panic attacks during initial withdrawal and it does play mind games with you.
I'm sure your doctor will put your mind at ease very soon.
Less time on google and more time on SR.
Wishing you well.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have been drinking on enough for 15 years eve. sorry I am using voice recognition. About 15 years.I escalated it about 4 years ago when my son died.I am absolutely beyond terrified.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Please try to relax until your appointment with the doctor. There's no reason to fear the worst. It's good you stopped drinking. That will bring improvement right there.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hi luisa,

During my stepson's first admission to the hospital, he was given a 50/50 shot to live through three things: cirrhosis, alcoholic hepatitis, and jaundice.

That was in 2008. He is alive and well today. The human body has an amazing ability to heal itself--if you will let it and stop drinking.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Your still alive, your Sober and you have a Dr appointment next week . . . .these are the FACTS!!

Speculating and searching google doesn't change any of those facts, and one of them happens to be your still alive!! . . . remain Sober and the body will thank you for it, next week your Dr will work out the specifics of things!!
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have definitely stopped. Every time I've stopped before I've never felt like it was left or that it would last. It has been 9 days. I absolutely feel no desire to be anywhere near alcohol. I wish it did not take getting to this point for me to feel that way. I am just so scared. I worry about my one daughter who has what is left. I know that I will be anxiety ridden until I see the doctor.
  # 13 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Terrified. Fear filled, awful days. I remember those. They are gut wrenching and soul robbing.

And almost always.....wrong.

Step away from Dr. Google. Before you know it you will have diagnosed yourself with some disease only transmitted by the tsi tsi fly from Bora Bora. And you will convince yourself you caught it at the international fruit market from that one sketchy guy who was checking out the jam aisle when you were passing through.

Breathe friend. It's going to be ok.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I bruise very easily and do not stop bleeding like normal people when i cut myself, i have to apply pressure and take meds before dental work and any surgery.

I have VonWillowbrands Disease and so do many other people, we are perfectly healthy and the more severe strains of it are easily treated with medications.
Please don't google it, your doctor will order simple blood tests that will give them a much more clear picture than anything you are fabricating with your anxiety.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by luisalehz View Post
I know that I will be anxiety ridden until I see the doctor.
Visit an Emergency Room or walk in clinic today if it will help you feel better. As many have mentioned here, using google to diagnose any problem with your health is not advised and simply not accurate.

I used to bruise much easier when drinking too, and I was very dehydrated so dry skin and all the other things that go along with dehydration plagued me. All of it went away after i quit drinking, but it took several weeks for my body to start getting back to normal.
  # 16 (permalink)  

I do not have any conditions that would cause the bleeding or bruising. It is very specific.
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with everyone else here. Stop reading Dr Google. There is absolutely no point in that - only a fact to face consultation can give you a real clinical check up

If next Thursday is too far away, find another Dr.
Scott makes some good suggestions.

The great likelihood is you will be ok, and your kids will have you around for many years to come.

D
Old 04-16-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Try to relax and use the fear you are feeling to assure yourself that you will continue to recover and do well. Good luck with your drs appointment.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

who is doctor scott? I have tried every other doctor, but they're not taking new patients. This is my regular doctor.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:05 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'll be honest with you. When I was a lot younger I managed to convince myself I had Leukaemia by googling. I got to the point where I was scouring my skin for marks and panicking every time I found one.

Went to the docs as it was driving me mad, my mind was telling me all sorts of things, I was even convinced I had a cough!! Turned out I was worrying about nothing.

Please stop the google searching. Most docs do emergency appointments if you explain to them the situation. There's always the ER if it will put your mind at rest. But by stressing about it constantly you will just convince yourself more and more. I know when you're anxious but try to do anything you can to take your mind of it.