Notices

I copped a buzz and I liked it.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:04 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
EndGame

Hi Alpha.

I can only share my experience, one that was similar to yours. I've had two major surgeries in the past nineteen months, and emergency surgery this past October. I never experienced tolerance with painkillers, since I've rarely taken them over the course of my life.

After being discharged following the emergency surgery in October, I was given some pills to take at home. I very quickly felt the kind of high you described, which I also felt while in the hospital after each surgery. I was ambivalent about letting them go while I was tapering down, but also relieved when I was finished with them. My doc told me he'd give me another script if I needed it, but I decided that wasn't an option.

Doesn't make any sense not to acknowledge that we're high on pain meds prescribed by a physician, but it's also not a good idea to fall so blindly in love with that high that we continue taking them down the path of certain destruction.

It's not Western Civilization's fault that people become addicted to pain meds; nor are physicians who are trying to help their patients manage acute and chronic pain at fault. That's like blaming parenthood for child abuse.

It may take a couple of days, but I guarantee that at some point you'll be very happy that you're without them.