Notices

My mojo left with the alcohol....

Old 04-10-2014, 12:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My mojo left with the alcohol....

or so it seems. I'm sober 6 1/2 weeks and have no interest in drinking but I also have no interest in anything else either. I just read in another thread about being bored. That's me to a "T". I seem to have lost all interest in everything. It's a gorgeous day today and here I am, inside the house in a funk. I hate feeling this way and hate complaining. I have my sobriety and am extremely grateful for that. I just had visions of having lots of energy and being active and, well..... happy. The ironic thing is when I was drinking it would give me that boost and I'd be rip roaring and ready to go, until the next morning that is. But now I still seem to have the hangover without the alcohol, if that makes any sense.

Has anyone else ever felt this way? Will this too, pass? Any suggestions would be greatly welcomed. Thanks!
Old 04-10-2014, 12:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Most of "us" go through the same exact thing. It takes a while. Some less, some more, but it just doesn't happen over night. Your mojo left you. That was bad mojo. Let the new mojo shine through.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Relate 100%, I'm on day 50 something. I also don't miss drinking, but I share your thoughts. I entered a 5k race in June and a 10K race in Sept. I have a bet with a friend on each. Try something like that where you have an external goal. For sure, don't get down on yourself, this is not easy! I miss my "bar friends", but not enough to restart.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It will get better, cassinva. It took me six months to escape the funk, lethargy, brain-fog but at the end of those six months it gradually began to lift. Be patient and gentle with yourself; it's early yet.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
EndGame

You recently walked away from what may have been the most important, most time-consuming part of your life. Forty-five days is a drop in the bucket when compared to the amount of time you spent drinking. Some things get better very quickly after putting down the drink, but building a better, more fulfilling life takes time and work. And it's not something that anyone else can do for you.

I was numb for almost a full year following my relapse. If I drank each time I didn't feel right, I would have been drinking each and every day during that stretch. If you're in it for the long haul, you'll learn to be grateful for each day that you're sober.

Cooperating with our own recovery only starts with putting down the drink. Most of the good stuff comes slowly, but never without our active participation.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You'll get your mojo back. I really don't recall how long it took me, but every day now is full of wonder and there aren't enough hours in the day for me.
I'm wishing the same for you. Soon. Hang in there it only gets better.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
You recently walked away from what may have been the most important, most time-consuming part of your life. Forty-five days is a drop in the bucket when compared to the amount of time you spent drinking. Some things get better very quickly after putting down the drink, but building a better, more fulfilling life takes time and work. And it's not something that anyone else can do for you.

I was numb for almost a full year following my relapse. If I drank each time I didn't feel right, I would have been drinking each and every day during that stretch. If you're in it for the long haul, you'll learn to be grateful for each day that you're sober.

Cooperating with our own recovery only starts with putting down the drink. Most of the good stuff comes slowly, but never without our active participation.
I have no interest in drinking - I was just comparing how I felt when I drank (full of energy) to how I'm feeling now. And believe me, I wake up every, single morning grateful for each day that I'm sober. I guess I just get frustrated sometimes when I think I should be farther along than I am. But I need to learn to have patience (something I've never really been good at, lol!)
Old 04-10-2014, 01:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
Most of "us" go through the same exact thing. It takes a while. Some less, some more, but it just doesn't happen over night. Your mojo left you. That was bad mojo. Let the new mojo shine through.
Love this thought process! Thank you!
Old 04-10-2014, 01:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know exactly what you mean! Same here,
Old 04-10-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

my take on this---what goes up must come down, then it gets flat, then real flat, then it starts to even it's way out and up into more sobriety and happiness.....

give yourself more time to heal!!!!!
Old 04-10-2014, 02:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Casinva

Good for you for your sober time thus far and please keep going, no matter what! I agree with EndgameNYC, it takes time, sometimes a LOT of time, but don't let that discourage you. Read up about PAWS here. I found it to be a very real entity with me.
Like everyone says, and it's true, it does get better!
Old 04-10-2014, 03:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found I was unconsciously doing what I used to do when drinking...pretty much nothing but sitting in front of the TV.

Not trying to be a wiseguy but if you're bored - think of things to do - your mojo will come back I promise

D
Old 04-10-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

SAME here!!!! Almost two months and I thought things would be much better by now. Funky, tired and full of emotions I have been running from!! Glad to hear others have felt this though and looking forward to the good stuff! Great thread, very helpful to me, thanks!