Notices

Newbie!

Old 04-07-2014, 08:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie!

Hey I'm new here. Been sober 2 days. Thought I'd introduce myself and share a bit about me. I'm 21 and have been drinking since the age of 14/15. Wasn't a heavy drinker back then but I did get drunk but never to the point where I couldn't walk/talk/remember the night. That only started when I was 18 and was legally able to attend nightclubs/pubs. This is when I started relying on it for every night out. I'm very shy until I get to know someone. I get so quiet and nervous around people I don't know. I'm afraid I'm being judged by them and that at some point they're gonna insult me for some reason so I drink myself into a mess and start saying things I wish I never said or doing things I regret for a long time. I used to be happy after a night of drinking. A bit hungover but fine. Now when I wake up after a night out, I just cry for days afterwards and feel so embarrassed and depressed. I have tried to have sober nights out but my friends always talk me into drinking. The only time I ever see my friends is when I'm going on a night out with them so I'm probably gonna lose a lot of friends from this but I can't live my life relying on alcohol for every social occasion. I only drink on weekends and this is what made me think I hadn't got a problem for a long time. I'd think "people with drinking problems drink everyday so I haven't got one." I know this is nonsense now. I stay in all week because I'm afraid of social interactions because I feel so self conscious over my appearance when I used to be so confident. I'm hoping quitting the alcohol will be the first step in my long journey of being happy again! Sorry for the rambling by the way! Just wanted people to know me a little better
Old 04-07-2014, 08:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! You are young, if I would have been half as smart at 18, I would have saved myself 20 years of hell, and 100 thousands of dollars.

You will eventually be comfortable with yourself around people sober.
Living sober is not abnormal, it may appear everyone drinks, but in fact not really.

Ho and congrats on 2 days.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome. I envy you - Same as the Patman.
I wasted countless years and $$$$$ just to have a "good time". Not so good now.
But getting better every day.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi Memyselfandix, welcome to SR
Old 04-07-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you! I'm glad I've come to decision at my young age before I do permanent damage or let my problem become worse and more out of control. Thank you! I'm gonna start my old hobbies again. Can't wait to be extra fit again. I now realise I do have a problem and life will be 100 times better without alcohol. Not to mention all that money I'm going to save up! I'm staying positive.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I am glad you are here with us. No need to worry about being judged or insulted here. This is a very supportive, helpful bunch. Good luck on your sober journey.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for the nice welcome! I've read a lot of people's journeys on here and there are a lot of strong people on here! And I've read stories of when they had their problem and realised I wasn't alone. I'm so happy to have found this site
Old 04-07-2014, 09:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the boards, I too wish I would have realized at age 21 I had a problem, I've wasted 30+ years of my weekends and way to much $
Hang in there, we are in this together
Old 04-07-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome and great job on 2 days sober!!! I'm newly sober too, if you ever wanna chat feel free to PM me And keep posting/reading, these forums are a godsend!
Old 04-07-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I also needed alcohol to come out my shell socially. I was a shy kid growing up with what I now believe was a social anxiety disorder. However, when I was about 16, I discovered how alcohol made all my fears disappear. I could talk to anyone and have a great time being the funny party animal.

Gradually, the drinking started taking over my life though. I started drinking every day to escape the anxiety and depression that came with the hangovers. I ended up addicted to alcohol and in rehab. I wish I recognized my problem at your age. Do something now about your drinking and you may avoid the same mistakes I made.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to meet you memyself. I agree with the others - wish so much I could go back and reclaim the decades I wasted. You'll be avoiding so much pain and misery by dealing with this now. I never wanted to believe I had no control, but in the end I was drinking all day - every day.

It's so hard to admit the thing that once brought us comfort and helped us cope has now become a necessity. I shook every time it was out of my system in the end - it was hell to get off it. This never has to happen to you. We're glad you're here.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome! Like so a any others, I wish I had been brave enough to stop drinking when I was your age. You will never regret it, I promise!
Old 04-07-2014, 10:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I know a lot of young people don't know the damage alcohol can do. I didn't until it got to the point where I realised I needed it to feel comfortable outside the house. I don't believe that alcohol is the source of my social/anxiety problems but it's after becoming a new separate problem and it definitely needs to be dealt with before I deal with my anxiety. These forums are fantastic. Great place to read real people's struggles and successes and talk about your own! I've been on here all day just browsing around taking everything in! I'm liking it here already!
Old 04-07-2014, 03:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Memyselfandix

D