Notices

Volunteer Work/Mindfulness

Old 04-02-2014, 10:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I posted an intro a few days ago and have been mostly just reading the various posts on here since then. Started this new chapter of my life on March 22, and I'm committed to sobriety and to improving my mental health.

I'm not an AA person and never will be, and I'm fortunate that I didn't have to deal with any physical withdrawal issues (I only drank 2 or so days a week). I know, though, that my underlying issues are what need the most work. I don't want to go back on anti-depressants ever again, so I'm taking other steps to reduce my depression and anxiety.

I have begun an 8 week long mindfulness training program (self-guided) and just reading the introduction yesterday had me feeling a lot better. I just need to resolve to stick with it daily, which is the hard part when doing anything on your own. I've also resolved to begin exercising again as soon as my anxiety is low enough for me to get back to the gym - I've set a 2 week mental deadline for that.

In addition, I'm about to begin a 40 hour training program to do some volunteer work for children in need. If anything will get me out of my head, it's this! I'm really looking forward to beginning this training and having something really positive to focus on outside of myself.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share that. I probably need to head back over to the depression forums I used to participate in, since it's a dual thing for me. Alcohol was a big, messy bandaid for me, and the root issue is my depression/anxiety/panic disorder. I'm determined to work on those issues, but steering clear of alcohol is a big part of it, and something I know now more than ever has been a HUGE problem in my life and in my relationship and is NOT remotely an acceptable way to deal with depression and anxiety.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I got a lot out of my volunteer work Susan - I hope you will too

D
Old 08-02-2014, 01:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well SoberSusan it is a good decision to come-out of depression and sign up for some constructive and social work. Hope you join volunteer work soon and are able to bring a difference in life of needy children. I really appreciate decision. Good Luck!
Old 08-02-2014, 01:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Jake
what brings you to SR?

D
Old 08-02-2014, 01:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That sounds positive Susan!!

. . . and welcome Jake!!
Old 08-02-2014, 01:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i was offered depression tablets when my son died and i refused, i sunk into really low depression i guess you would call it, for a year or so, then i started to push myself to go back to my aa meetings. and out trying to help others it certainly helped me so much to get me out of my head
there is a guy in our fellowship who lost his daughter one year and his wife the next year he was on pills before losing any of them but the mess he is in now as he is in a home he is so drugged up he can not look after himself at all he is the reason i will never take depression pills as i dont want to get like that
so i really hope your working with deprived kids will be just the tonic as for me it keeps me being grateful for what i have and keeps positive thoughts in my head,

good luck to you