Notices

tips to get off alcohol the safe way

Old 04-02-2014, 02:06 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Im not a doctor but I can tell you that alcohol use directly affects me when it comes to depression and anxiety. Its not fun to be afraid to get a drink of water and you have to hide the shakes. I get so worked up when im shaky that I cant even get myself to the liquor store to get more.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:29 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I can only speak from experience, but tapering off as suggested by "experts" who have never experienced true alcohol recovery themselves cos all they read is books and statistics may not ever solve your drinking issues.

It's termed I think as "harm minimization"
When googling I found this article
The last line say's it all,
fundamentally flawed
Abstract
Harm minimization as a drug-policy approach represents a major step forward in Australian society's method of dealing with the myriad problems associated with illicit drug use. However, harm minimization lacks a substantial theoretical underpinning and there has been little debate about harm minimization at the sociological level. This article investigates a number of the assertions made within the harm minimization literature and the assumptions on which they are based. These assumptions are critically deconstructed from a number of points of view, including a Foucauldian perspective. Areas investigated include: the use of epidemiological data as a foundation for many harm-reduction strategies, the failure of harm minimization theories to deal adequately with the role of discourse in the drug policy arena, the harm minimization claim to amorality, the use of a utilitarian set of values, the supposed popularity of harm reduction and the idea that the current harm-reduction paradigm clearly acts as an extension of 'surveillance medicine' through the vehicle of governmentality. It is concluded that, whilst harm minimization represents the most promising advance in drug policy in the past, the lack of theoretical rigour in the development of these initiatives results in many of the claims made by proponents of harm-reduction strategies being either overly optimistic or fundamentally flawed.
So where to now ?

I'd look for a doctor who has real experience and is a known expert in the area of alcoholism.

or try AA if you have not already done so.

Above all, be honest about your drinking.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:14 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

You may have been given the number for alcohol counselling rather then the community drug and alcohol team. They can usually arrange a medically supervised home detox ( if your circumstances are suitable). How about asking the GP / alcohol counsellor if you could access those services?
Old 04-02-2014, 03:19 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Drs in the UK seem more open to idea of tapering than elsewhere.
I think that's a reflection on the demands on the system.

I think you need a second Drs opinion Shankabs - if I had to taper off over 8 weeks, I'd never get down to zero.

D
Old 04-02-2014, 03:25 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Alcoholics Anonymous (Great Britain) Ltd - Home
Old 04-02-2014, 03:27 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm from the uk and when I went to the docs saying I'd stopped drinking she initially seemed shocked and recommended I carry on and cut down!!! After explaining that I was an addict and this wouldn't be possible I managed to get some better help from another Dr. Might be worth asking for a second opinion. I ended up in the hospital for a night but at least I got looked after.

I'm not a fan of tapering because for me it's not possible. If I could cut down and drink in a regimented way I wouldn't be the addict!
Old 04-02-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Go to a detox facility. And never consume alcohol ever again.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:59 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

I am in Scotland but I know for a fact there are plenty of detox facilities in England, including Newcastle. Did you tell the doctor the truth? I would urge you to go back and seek proper medical care and support. Your 7654321 'plan' sounds like a torturous way of setting yourself up to fail and I personally know noone in recovery who succeeded this way.

You went and sought help - that is a wonderful start. Please help yourself and get the RIGHT help. If that means seeing another doctor so be it. Maybe call your old counsellor and get honest.

Regional & Local Websites (new) | Members | Alcoholics Anonymous (Great Britain) Ltd

There is a list of AA in your area. Maybe you can find some support there.

Please take good care of yourself, keep coming here!
Old 04-03-2014, 02:43 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyinBC View Post

Tapering did nothing for me, in fact, it made me drink more.
That's the truth for me too.

Any attempt to drink less was like using a trampoline: I'd cut back and then just generate a mighty thirst for it.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:51 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hi its not as if i want to come off it completely just stop misusing it like i have been doing ie just have a drink on nights out etc once in a blue moon not everynight for no reason at all
Old 04-03-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by shankabs View Post
Hi its not as if i want to come off it completely just stop misusing it like i have been doing ie just have a drink on nights out etc once in a blue moon not everynight for no reason at all
So you want to enjoy the occasional drink...be a normal drinker? Sorry to tell you, but that ship has left the port.

Your doctor has told you, quit or die. I don't think he gave you the option of occasionally drinking when the mood struck you. Plus, you've admitted you are an alcoholic. That takes "normal" drinking off the table for you too.

I know it's going to be hard to accept, but you have to. Quitting, for your health and continued sanity, means never drinking again.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Do u think thats what he meant never drink again i thought itwould be because of the amount i drink if u carry on drinking the amount you do u will die
Old 04-03-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
EndGame

Do u think thats what he meant never drink again i thought itwould be because of the amount i drink if u carry on drinking the amount you do u will die
Are you truly committed to continue bargaining with your life? "Stop or die" is an infinitely clear statement.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:08 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Drinking like a normal person is the dream of everyone here. Unfortunately, the unwillingness to see that we aren't like normal people is pretty much the pared down version of alcoholism. Our brains become damaged when we are drinking, we make choices that are highly irrational in light of the consequences.

Think of how much history you incorporate into every day life. We know putting our feet on the ground is the easiest way to get out of bed. We know that if the water is too hot in the shower we will get scalded. We know that if we turn on the light we will see better. We understand that the image in the mirror is us. We know to hold the handrail when we go down the stairs. We unconsciously already know how many stairs there are.

We draw on accumulated information pretty much constantly during the day. We didn't know how to do any of these things when we were infants. It is the rift between the accumulated history of negative consequences when we drink and our refusal/inability to shift our behavior that separates us from people who aren't alcoholics.

Moderation is drinking, with my particular makeup drinking has brought negative circumstances. In order to avoid those negative circumstances I avoid the substance that is responsible. My brain for some reason is not wired the same way as most people when it comes to alcohol. Getting well means learning a new way to live that does not include alcohol. In order to get well I am taking the baby steps, just like I did with any other learned behavior to learn to do this new behavior better and better each day.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:52 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hey shankabs,
I was drinking 12 to 18 beers a night for I bet 25 years. I stopped about 28 days ago. The only side effects I had was the first and second night I had sweats. After that I just have to deal with the cravings. Hope this helps.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:00 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hi i have been drinking alcohol almost everynight for the past 12 years on average 8 cans of larger.
This was me, not so long ago. I drank beer EVERY NIGHT for over 20 years. Near the end of my drinking days, I was consuming between 20-24 cans of beer every day/evening. Cracked one open as soon as I woke up, and drank myself to sleep every single night.

Well i went to the drs yesterday as i was suffering from panic and anxeity attacks and depression. He got me on the bed and felt my liver..i winced basically he said im going to die if i dont stop...i had to choose drink or my four kids.. ive been to councilling before but totally lied about my intake so not going to go there Ive got the jist of coming off ie dont completely stop cut down first?? So from 8 to 4 a night for a few weeks then down to 2 is this still recomended? Thanks for listening any advice is appreciated
I can relate to this as well. At first, I completely lied to my doctor about my intake, which confounded him completely as my liver levels were through the roof. (Around eight times the norm, to be specific.) When I finally admitted the truth to him, he told me pretty much what you heard: quit, or be prepared to die.

A few weeks later, I entered a detox facility and got sober. Today is 50 days of freedom from alcohol for me, and it's the best thing I've EVER done for myself. You, too, can do this. But as others have said, you REALLY should consider medical supervision if at all possible.

It also bears mentioning that my personal doctor suggested "tapering" before entering detox, but when I called to register for a bed in the detox unit, the intake staff strongly suggested AGAINST a taper, as they suggested that would likely do more harm than good.

See your doctor, be completely honest, and take advantage of any medical help that you're able to get. Best of luck to you. Keep us posted on your progress!
Old 04-03-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

hi thanks for the replies, all the dr gave me was a number for the councelling people didnt even suggest a detox programme for me i couldnt take it any ways cause of the kids who would look after them for me.. i myself have decided too to the tapering if thats whats it i called. im finding 7 cans a night bar 8 pretty easy and im only on day 3. my excuse is or was too get me too sleep. hunter i guess you have been pretty lucky with the side effects,, thats whats scaring me the most just too stop altogether,, having fits, dying.. they say that on the web anyways.

and when i said i lied not to the dr i did drink 8 cans a night some times 9-10.. i lied when i went to the councellor 5 years ago after having my daughter, they said cut down i just didnt so after the 16 week programme i was still drinking 8 cans a night they thought i had just stopped. because my liver function was normal i continued too drink,, i saw the same dr i saw on tuesday 18 months ago he told me the exact same thing die or drink,,, but sent me for a liver test came back normal,,, so still i drank,,, this time he didnt ask for a blood test,, so heres me thinking why not,, because when he felt my liver it was enlarged maybe?? he didnt wannna send me for one because he knew i wouldnt want too hear the results.. was he just scaring me cause im just a young mother im 35 this year with 4 kids?? if he was just scaring me then he certainly did i will reduce my alcohol intake and become sober for the first time in 12 years, and if reducing over a period of 8 week will work them im determined to do that thanks everyone for the advice i really appreciate it x
Old 04-03-2014, 02:05 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I read through all the replies. I am one week sober after a very terrible ordeal. I have six grown children, and I had to call my Daughter to tell her I had a very bad experience - I was drunk and on new depression medication, and I told my husband I was goint to jump out of the second story window. He called 911 - I ended up in a detox unit - and today is one week.

My point is, the longer you drink and are an alcoholic, the worse the symptoms will get. I don't plan on drinking ever again... but it is difficult. I can't bear the hurt I have caused my children...they are my strength - so, for your beautiful children, stop the madness and go to a detox unit for a few days, and remember all of us here are willing to chat with you.

Hope today is a better day!
Old 04-03-2014, 02:15 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I was at around the same ratio as you, everyone is different of course and level of physical dependance is also.

I saw mine after 18 hours of abstinence. I was not shaking, had a bit of slight anxiety, but no major physical symptoms. He did me a full checkup, prescribed me Ativan for 5 days. I had someone monitor me 24/7. He told me if things get weird to check in ER.

Suffice to say that I did ok, it's just my story but every doctor is different. Seeing the same or another one might be worth it? But if you can't go to work without drinking in the morning to stop shakes then you have an answer.

Just saying, seeing a doc is worth it, tapering did not work for me. Some it did but few. It was pure agony for me. I would end up getting plastered on the Friday night for me good week of effort.

Good luck!