Notices

High(er) Blood Pressure when detoxing?

Old 03-27-2014, 10:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

High(er) Blood Pressure when detoxing?

I think this is normal, but my blood pressure has been high (no where near dangerously just between 5-15 points above 'ideal' and has been 'ideal' or lower on occasion) is this normal?

Just finished day 3. Did anyone else experience this and if so when did it start to drop?

What else can I do to help? (avoiding salt eating really well and will be allowed to exercise starting saturday)

I'm not asking for medical advice i'm just asking others if they experienced that. My doctor said not too worry if it was still high in a month check then but i'm wondering what others experiences have been!

thanks!
Old 03-27-2014, 10:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was one of those very rare birds who went into a hospital detox, sober. I thought that's how it was supposed to be done. They weren't going to admit me, becuase I wasn't drunk. As soon as the triage nurse took my BP she said, we'll admit you. Don't remember what it was, but she was concerned. And I was only 23 yrs old, and weighed 128 lbs.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Definitely continue to consult with your doctor if you're concerned. Eating more fruits and vegetables is said to lower blood pressure I have seen in addition to the exercise and eating a lower sodium diet(I've been told by my doc). My blood pressure was high when detoxing too, but lowered fairly quickly with abstinence...thankfully from about 135/95 to about 116/80 area. It lowered with in about a week or so.

Congrats on day 3!
Old 03-27-2014, 10:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
EndGame

There's a strong association between detoxing from alcohol and increasing blood pressure. This usually resolves itself in a few days, more quickly when BP meds are introduced.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good morning lawgirl,

Are you in the treatment facility now? I would think that they would have the best answer for ya.

Matt
Old 03-28-2014, 03:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Try to relax. Stress does impact blood pressure. :-)