Notices

Pondering Triggers

Old 03-26-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pondering Triggers

Hello All,

I occasionally post here and do come to read posts for inspiration and to try and help me understand my triggers.

I definitely have what I call my "party switch" that can get flipped after a few and in the right situation (in a social/party situation). However, I seem to do just fine over all with social drinking (haha, get ready) but will overdo it after a particularly successful day. This includes drinking at home with significant other either after we've been out, or after dinner. I just keep pouring and there is no reason as I am very happy to be spending my time with him.

I am just now putting this together after a long time of trying to catch my patterns. My life has been a very big struggle with many major stresses for the past 2 years so I've always thought it was just that I gave in to it here and there. But now I see that it's like I am determined to not have very many good days in a row.

Does/did anyone else have that self-destructive urge to essentially ruin the next day with a hangover and guilt after having a very good, well planned day? Why am I doing that? It is important to me to understand what would make me do that, because if I successfully stop drinking, or at a minimum stop this behavior, I am afraid I will find another way to sabotage my professional and personal success.

I do have a psychiatrist and most definitely will ask her at my next appointment but would love to hear from anyone that has insight.

Thanks!!
Old 03-26-2014, 06:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Not sure if this will help you, but I'll tell you how it applied to me.

For several years I thought I was self-destructive. It was the only way I could understand my drinking behavior. I knew drinking was wrecking things, but I kept doing it - therefore, I MUST be self-destructive. That seemed logical to me.

Turns out it wasn't true.

I wasn't trying to ruin anything. I was trying to get drunk. I kept trying to find ways to get drunk and not have any negative consequences from it. I wasn't self-destructive, I was addicted.

Once I understood the difference I was able to kick the habit.

Best of Luck on Your Journey.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'll add to what nonsensical said. I drink to get buzzed or high or whatever you want to call it. Could be a nice day and a very good feeling or a bad day and I want to numb bad feelings. The fact is I love the feeling and want it more than any consequences. That's what addiction is, when you do the behavior despite negative consequences. I certainly don't like a hangover, but my addictive voice lies to me and tricks me to thinking all that matters is getting the substance now.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you both for your interesting and on target replies. It makes sense. I do just like that feeling - but that I do it knowing that the next day will be rough, and that my life will NOT improve until I am more productive is just amazing. Addiction stinks!