Notices

Inspirational video on how to live a better life

Old 03-26-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Inspirational video on how to live a better life

Hi Everyone,

I just recommended works of my favorite meditation guide, Alan Wallace, on a different thread, and it occurred to me perhaps some of his stuff could be interesting for many here. Alan is a buddhist scholar who was also a monk in Tibet for a while, now running meditation courses worldwide. This is my favorite video featuring him. It's not directly about substance addictions but brings up the many general tendencies for excess that we human beings are so prone to... and how they get in the way of a meaningful life.

B. Alan Wallace on the Pursuits of Understanding, Happiness - YouTube
Old 03-26-2014, 10:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for this. I find he has a very soothing voice, presence.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You are welcome. He is a great meditation guide, I attended group retreats led by him. Has a real unique vision from a variety of perspectives (buddhism, science, common sense, etc); I think I like him because his views are very similar to / compatible with mine. In my experience choosing the right spiritual guide is very important if we really want to get a lot out of it - similar to having a compatible sponsor in AA (I guess, never did AA myself).

Sadly I was still a drinker when I did those retreats (although at least not drunk during the sessions) but would like to try some again now sober.