Notices

5 months and a relapse.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

5 months and a relapse.

I made it 5 months sober after rehab. I had been seeing a therapist and even began dating someone who was also sober. I got comfortable with my sobriety and also tired w it. Then I got into a big fight w the guy Im seeing and spent an entire day getting obliterated on alcohol over the weekend.

My question is: how long does it take to detox after something like that?

Will I feel the cravings again? I sort of already am and ive made it 5 days sober.

Im seeing a therapist and looking at this as a learning experience something that has strengthened my resolve to stay sober. Im not treating the past five months as something lost and i dont think i have to go back to the drawing board again. But I have lost some of the wind beneath my wings and know im going to have to try doubly hard to get back on track.

Has anyone had an experience like this?
Old 03-20-2014, 07:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I blew after 5 months as well.
I'm back to 9 months on Saturday.
Dust yourself off, use it as a learning experience.
My cravings where worse after relapse, but none the less I got through them.
I'm in 12 step recovery program which is really been a life line.
The time before I was trying to do it myself.
Do you have a plan or in a program?
Old 03-20-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Nobody in this world in indestructible - we have all fallen, but the real courage is knowing this and getting up again. To me you are a winner. You have come to this realization very quickly and stood up, dusted off, and carried on. That takes guts! Forget about the past it is now and tomorrow that is important and not how long. As the forum suggests, stop counting, you are not in jail, you have done nothing wrong, concentrate on the now and your future for tomorrow.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

you are looking at it from the right perspective. it is a learning experience.
5 months of sobriety is an achievement. congrats.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Drunkandalone View Post
But I have lost some of the wind beneath my wings and know im going to have to try doubly hard to get back on track.
I'd say you lost the "wind beneath your wings" before the relapse. You said yourself, "I got comfortable with my sobriety and also tired w it."

Recovery is a lifelong endeavor. You'll note that I didn't say lifelong effort, because the longer you are in recovery, the easier it gets. But you can't get complacent. And you can't use the turmoil in your life justify drinking again.

Good luck.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I do have a plan im working on w my therapist and trying to find the emotional problem that lies within which makes me turn to drink. I know that the temporary escape isnt worth what you lose in the long run. Thankfully this lapse didnt impact anything but my pride I didnt call into work or anything but god knows it could have. Ive got too much to lose. Next time i feel like drinking ill just reflect on that.

Bottom line drinking has lost its joy for me.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yep almost word for word as my experience/s. If you change something and do so staying different this time you will not be repeating the same mistake as last time. I look on my 5 months before rehab, drinking again, and finally achieving sobriety in AA as a very important time on the path to recovery. But I had quite a few 5 months over the years so here's hoping you do something very different this time.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My very last relapse was after six months sober. I was so disappointed with myself but was determined to finally succeed. And I did. I've been sober over four years since that awful day. If I can do it, so can you.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

It's disappointing but good that you want to go back to sobriety xxxxxx