Notices

"I'm different"

Old 03-19-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
RaleighSoxFan

I've said it before and I'll say it again, we are not unique. What we feel as far as our symptoms in our recovery at least. It's important because it makes our ability to overcome our pain more manageable. Knowing others have made it through, many of whom our facing more difficult circumstances than us. By knowing my pain is not unique, I realize that others have made it through this pain and I'm not fearful that overcoming my situation is not possible. If my turmoil was unique I might think, "well no one gets MY PAIN", "OTHERS may have made it through, but my situation is REAL TOUGH, unlike theirs".
Old 03-19-2014, 04:24 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Oh man me thinking I was unique and different kept me going for a long time. I used to wear the different badge with pride. Totally sucked acting like I was different because all the people that were attracted to me thought they were different too, and let's face it people who think they are unique or different aren't really that much fun to be around long term! I know I wasn't!

I went into the different thing as a form of protection in hindsight as I really didn't have a clue what I was doing, didn't really understand people or situations, and as a way to combat the fear I felt inside that I really did not want to admit to myself.

It sucked playing the role of being different. Now I could sit with you over coffee and both of us would leave the chat feeling pretty good about ourselves because we would have a connection, ok that connection is substance abuse and recovery but it's a great start. If you continue in recovery you will start talking to normal people and realise that you have things in common with them tok and hey presto you won't feel alone anymore.

Our path is substance abuse and having a ******, miserable life so be different and recover and have a good life, that would be different:-)

I love the unique thing as I always thought I was unique, it's like a child's comment and outlook I find it quite sweet now. You know they say that every snowflake is unique whenever I hear someone say they are unique I say like a snowflake (ahhhhhh, I don't actually say ahhhhhh I think it lol). A pretty, little snowflake that twinkles like a little star up in the sky up above hehe love it.

Of course realistically there are 7 billion people on the planet and we haven't even begun to chart the billions of galaxies out there so chances are, on this planet alone, I am not unique.

Wishing you all the best!
Old 03-19-2014, 09:20 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I have heard the term "suffering from terminal uniqueness" used at many an AA meeting to describe many an alcoholic. So, I laughed at doggonecarl's comment. I thought I was different, smarter and better than most of "those people" who couldn't control their drinking. Totally ignoring the 800 pound gorilla in the room. We are all unique and have our own special talents but when it comes to alcohol I am just another drunk. No better and no different. In fact worse than a lot since I'm a terminal know it all with a big ego that I'm working hard to deflate. Being humble equals a better chance at staying sober.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:24 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks Yeahgr8 for what you wrote. That was terrific for me and perfectly describes how and why I thought about being unique. A shield.