Notices

I was sent an angel today

Old 03-15-2014, 09:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I was sent an angel today

Not sure if this is this proper place, but I wanted to share an extraordinary event that occurred to me today. I am 24 days sober and in the midst of my alcoholism, my 23 yr old daughter is following in my foot steps. She is very very lost right now. I no longer live with her. She is stuck in the house with her abusive alcoholic father (my ex) and there is pretty much nothing I can do to get her out of there as I am just starting the road of recovery. And he got the house. I invited her to lunch today. I wanted her to see the changes in me that have occurred and show by example how much my life is turning around for the good. Lunch went great. We talked and laughed. I gave her $10 and a pack of cigs, she's broke but just started a new job, so I wanted her to have lunch money for next week. Somewhere, between lunch and her walking me to the bus stop, she managed to get a hold of two large cans of Mike's hard lemonade. She went to the bathroom and downed one of them. I didn't know at all until I smelled it. All of a sudden, she slurring her speech, crying, puking, and peeing her pants on the bust stop. She then laid on the bus bench and fell fast asleep, I dug through her purse and found another can, poured it out and threw it away. Meanwhile, we're in broad daylight and she has vomit all over her, her pants are wet and she passed out. I was scared to death a cop was going to come and arrest her for drunk in public. No taxi would agree to pick her up and take her home and I do not have a car. I was powerless. I could do nothing for her. Out of no where this lady pulls up and asks if I need help. I burst into tears and explained the situation. The woman had had an alcoholic daughter too and knew what I was going through. We got my daughter into this woman's car (the back seats were covered in plastic so that the pee and vomit would not hurt the woman's car. She gave me her phone number, showed me her dl with her address and took my daughter home. I was sent an angel in one of the darkest moments. And I thank God he was there for her. Sorry this is so long, it was just such a reaffirmation for me as to why I am sober and why I'm staying sober.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Mimi, that's a lovely story. Congratulations on your sobriety, and I hope you daughter gains inspiration from you.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh wow that certainly does seem like divine intervention! Truly an amazing event. And what a relief
Old 03-15-2014, 09:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow. Im sorry for the circumstances, but it just goes to show that there are still decent people in this world. However, perhaps that angel was not sent for you, but for your daughter.

Sending hugs.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Oh my. I hope your daughter sees how well you are doing and does something about her alcohol issue.

I'm glad that someone was kind enough to help you. It's nice to know there's that kind of people still around.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank God for decent people. What a blessing. And yes I agree, the angel was sent for her. I am so thankful.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Mimi, your story gave me goosebumps! I am sorry that your daughter is struggling so, it must be horrible to have to watch her hurt herself I just can't imagine. I thank god every day that my 21 year old daughter doesn't drink - heavens knows how that has come about but I count my blessings! What a wonderful woman to help you. I hope that your daughter can join your journey too though it sounds like she needs more intervention and help than possibly you can give her, and being so involved might make it hard too. Maybe someone independent might be able to intervene? Let us know how you go.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad that angel of mercy showed up when you needed her.