Notices

One Year Ago

Old 03-15-2014, 01:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One Year Ago

My husband takes a business trip on this weekend every year. Last year on this Saturday, I wrestled with the question, "Am I an alcoholic?" I was terribly hungover from just another Friday night (and I knew that isn't how normal people spend their Saturdays). Yet I could count on a hangover every Saturday and Sunday, some worse than others, but a hangover without fail.

Saturday, I lay in my bed while life happened around me. Kids played, argued, watched tv, ate, and there I lay, terrified that I needed to stop drinking altogether. I was sad, angry, worried, embarrassed, ashamed, confused, afraid, and alone.

It took me 5 more months to make the commitment to myself to stop drinking entirely. I have been sober since August 25, 2013.

My husband left on his business trip today. I am not hungover. I got up after 9 restful hours of sleep and helped a friend host a party to celebrate her remission from cancer. I have eaten healthy food today. I helped one of my kids clean her closet. I plan to go shopping and host a group of high school kids this evening.

This process is unending. I have cried and felt emotions I haven't felt for years (decades). I have laughed and rediscovered myself, my voice, my interests, my strengths. I no longer feel rushed. I no longer sweat while I prepare for my day. I no longer have internal arguments about whether, when, and how much I will drink tonight. I no longer wake up wondering how I could have allowed myself to drink so much last night. I no longer forget things my family has told me (well, not as often, anyway!!). I don't repeat myself needlessly.

I am on a journey. I must take each day one at a time. I can't yet think about forever. But I can remember a year ago and know I never want to go back there again.

Thanks to everyone at SR for being my #1 support and inspiration. I am so thankful for what this forum has done to help me turn things around!
Old 03-15-2014, 01:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you! Not an easy journey Im sure, but stories such as yours give us all inspiration it is possible, thank you

Old 03-15-2014, 01:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank-you so much for this post GotGrace. I find peoples' 'then' and 'now' journeys so inspiring and motivating. I'm one week and one day into my personal sobriety journey, I too hope to have something uplifting to pay forward in time.

Congratulations to you on your one year anniversary x
Old 03-15-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What a beautiful post, GotGrace. Your name suits you very well.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your progress. And thank you for sharing.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for sharing that GotGrace - great post!
Congratulations on your upcoming 7 months

D
Old 03-15-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Congratulations on your upcoming 7 months D
Oops..heartfelt congrats on 7/12th anniversary GotGrace
Old 03-15-2014, 03:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Magsie

This process is unending. I have cried and felt emotions I haven't felt for years (decades). I have laughed and rediscovered myself, my voice, my interests, my strengths. I no longer feel rushed. I no longer sweat while I prepare for my day. I no longer have internal arguments about whether, when, and how much I will drink tonight. I no longer wake up wondering how I could have allowed myself to drink so much last night.

Hi GotGrace your words are just how I feel, too. My emotions are all over the place, good and bad, it's like I'm discovering a new me. It's been mentioned never to make any big decisions until at least a year sober. I heed those words. But the best thing, we are sober.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Thanks for your post. I also like that people do the then and now posts. It gives us new guys hope.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I loved hearing that good news GotGrace. It took me about the same length of time to actually quit - but it stuck this time. We are very proud of you.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by needmyfamily View Post
love the then and now stories cant get enough of them gotgrace fantastic need more of then cause im still in then can u explain how u done it thanks
Needmyfamily, I knew something needed to change for years. Maybe even decades. I tried moderation plenty of times.

Finally, I read "The Sober Revolution: Women Call Time on Wine O'Clock (link here The Sober Revolution: Women Calling Time on Wine O'Clock (Volume 1): Sarah Turner, Lucy Rocca: 9781783752089: Amazon.com: Books) and I realized that I was not alone! That was incredibly empowering for me, knowing that what I was experiencing, the shame, dread, fear, feelings of powerlessness and hopelessness, was not unique to me and could be changed. I was not bound to feel that way forever.

After a couple weeks of sobriety, I found SR and, as I mentioned in my original post, it has been so very helpful. Reading all the posts from people ahead of me, posting and getting responses when I was tempted to drink, and daily check-ins with my Setember 2013 classmates (who are amazing!), have kept me on the good path. As the weeks have gone by, reading newcomers' posts has been so helpful too; I clearly remember feeling the way so many newbies feel, I realize how much I have learned, and I am reminded how powerful this disease is.

Finally, I will share this saying that I saw shortly after I stopped drinking which I wish I had seen sooner: Fear of the thing is worse than the thing itself. Taking the first step is the toughest part.

Good luck, Needmyfamily. It can be done!
Old 03-15-2014, 05:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

so happy for you!