Notices

2 More hours till 48 hours and not a drink.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 More hours till 48 hours and not a drink.

2 more Hours will mark 2 days for me. Last night was tough. Had bad night sweats, woke up like 2 or 3 times to dry myself off. The cravings were tough to. Tonight seems a little easier, not sure. One thing I did notice is that this morning my mind wasn't so foggy.
Hopefully tonight no night sweats!! Hopefully tomorrow is easier!!
How long till the cravings go away? And the night sweats?
Old 03-06-2014, 05:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 2 days Hunter!

How long is a question that's different for everyone...my sweating used to last about a week and physical cravings maybe 2 weeks a little more.

Thoughts of drinking too a little longer to go, but they will

D
Old 03-06-2014, 05:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Hang in there Hunter... it is DEFINITELY worth it! Like Dee said... everyone has a different experience based on a lot of factors.... like the amount you drank, have many years you had been drinking and also your own physical characteristics...

Keep it up and things will improve.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The thoughts are what bothers me the most! Always asking myself , Should I have one??
But then answering back, no, don't, because it wont be one.
Right now I have a 12 pack in the car, just in case it gets to bad.
Last time I quit for a few months I did the same thing and it worked. Kind of like a security blanket, knowing its there if I really need it.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Kind of like a security blanket, knowing its there if I really need it.

But you don't NEED it, you WANT it. I'd recommend getting rid of it. You don't need the temptation, not if you REALLY want to stop drinking, anyway.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Come on Hunter you can do it!!
Old 03-06-2014, 08:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Hunter, keep your mind busy and congrats...we will be telling you that again tomorrow =) If you go to my blog, you will see that I had bad night sweats too. I have some tips that I used that helped me get through them and the vitamins I take to beat the cravings (Kudzu and L-glutamine). Also, take a look at this article. It will pass the time by for you: Treatment of Alcoholism - Dr. Weil's Condition Care Guide
I can say that after about the first week and a half, they were gone. Night sweats stink! I hated waking up with my pillows and sheets being wet. You can make it through it if I/we did. I also understand what you mean about that safety blanket. I sometimes wonder if my alcoholism didn't just turn into a really, really bad habit. At times I didn't want to drink and if I bought a bottle and had it around, my anxiety would go away. This last time, I held onto a bottle of wine. I thought I would ween myself off of alcohol but decided to go cold turkey. Eventually, without drinking any of it, I threw it away after my first 4 days of being sober. Don't let that pack of beer fool you though. As you said, you can't just have 2. That's the alcoholic mind playing games with you. Tell it, "No! I deserve a better life" and hang in there!

Last edited by Gabriel; 03-06-2014 at 09:00 PM. Reason: additional dialogue added
Old 03-06-2014, 09:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

not sure when your cravings go away? And the night sweats? hang in there and you will be able to answer your questions .
Old 03-07-2014, 05:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Made it through the night!! The beginning of the night started rough, but got easier as it got closer to bed time. Got like 2 night sweats, but not as bad as previously. here's to day 3!!
Old 03-07-2014, 05:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

that's a great thing!
Old 03-07-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on Day 3! Hope the withdrawal is over
Old 03-07-2014, 07:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hunter101 View Post
Last time I quit for a few months I did the same thing and it worked. Kind of like a security blanket, knowing its there if I really need it.
That might work. everyone has their way of doing things. The reason I KNOW a lot of my withdrawals and anxiety are in my head, is because I'll feel like I need a drink SO BAD. So, i go the store, and the minute I walk out with my bag I feel instantly better.

More times than not, it just sits on the counter for a long time while I'm doing things around the house. Now i just have to skip the part when I do open it up.

But i know how you feel.....
Old 03-07-2014, 07:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was addicted to pain pills. If I were in withdrawal and had an oxy in my car, I wouldn't make it more than a few days. The next question is - what's going to happen to that 12 pack when you get through withdrawal and start to see things more clearly? Are you going to get rid of it or is your addiction going to tell you "oh no, it's okay, you can drink one or two, just don't let yourself get hooked on it physically again" ??
I was given a serious reality check by a member of the fellowship I'm a part of - it hurt my feelings for two days until I realized he's right, I have a reservation and I'm setting myself up for my next relapse without even realizing it. Nothing will change until something changes.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

If I make it until 10 tonight, that will be 4 days!!!
Old 03-08-2014, 10:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

If I make it until 10 tinight, that will be 4 days!
Old 03-08-2014, 10:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My problem is, I have a party to go to tonight. I told my wife I didnt want to go because I didnt want to be around it. She says "Drink only in moderation and you will be ok!" LOL!! There is no moderation for me, its all or nothing. She would constantly complain about my drinking and now she says, drink in moderation?? LOL!! My therapist said she would try to get me to drink, because she needs that in her life.
So I am going to this party and I am not going to drink!!! Period!
Old 03-08-2014, 10:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My problem is, I have a party to go to tonight. I told my wife I didnt want to go because I didnt want to be around it. She says "Drink only in moderation and you will be ok!" LOL!! There is no moderation for me, its all or nothing. She would constantly complain about my drinking and now she says, drink in moderation?? LOL!! My therapist said she would try to get me to drink, because she needs that in her life.
So I am going to this party and I am not going to drink!!! Period!
Congrats on almost 4 days! Hey Hunter - if you think that party is going to be a problem, don't go; don't go; don't go. Conviction and resolve can be so difficult and fragile early on; seeing all of your friends drinking may be too much of a temptation.

There's always someone here on SR to keep you company.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

The thoughts are what bothers me the most! Always asking myself , Should I have one??
But then answering back, no, don't, because it wont be one.
Dude I kept booze in my house on my last attempt........... I gave in on day 5 and drank, trust me get rid of it mate! that security blanket you talk about is part of your addiction!
Old 03-18-2014, 09:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yup, people who do not have the 'disease' of addiction do not really know what it's like to try and only drink in moderation. It's simply impossible for me thus, I stay away from my triggers. Let us know how you're doing