Notices

The thought of never drinking again....

Old 03-06-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
RaleighSoxFan

The thought of never drinking again....

Used to make me uncomfortable. I have wanted to quit for sometime, but I believed I always really hoped to "cut back". This time I finally feel comfortable seeing my future without ever drinking again.......not even 1 more. It took me a while. I used to get anxious even thinking I'd never ever have ONE again. Frightened even. Now it's frightening to see the power alcohol had and has over. I can't drink in the future, & that's fine with me. I have a lot of work to do to get proper with my self and fix my life, but alcohol is not going to take part in the equation becauseone variable is "fixing" my life.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Yup.

DUIs, isolation, illness, financial ruin, alienation, injury, death - I used to be concerned about those. But never drinking again - that terrified me.

Sick isn't it?

So glad to be free of that absolutely deranged thinking.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Welcome to freedom !
Old 03-06-2014, 10:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RaleighSoxFan

I know. I have 4 DWIs and 2 hit & runs. I never really quit cause not drinking again scared me! Very delusional. Great to not feel I need a drink. I still feel anxious, but I know it won't be fixed with alcohol. Happy now that I WANT answers to life as apposed to using the bottle. Don't feel compelledto drink anymore. It feels like freedom! So correct
Old 03-06-2014, 11:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Forghetti, that acceptance was what made the difference for me. It also helps to know it is my choice to accept never to drink again.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am still hoping I get to this point. Awesome!
Old 03-06-2014, 11:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Friend-

In life, the afternoon knows what the morning never suspected. Thus, I can only imagine what tomorrow may bring. After nearly nineteen consecutive months of 100% sobriety, I can tell you from experience...try not to make the goal harder than it already is. Why jump over a hurdle when you can walk over a stick? Remember, all we have to do is not drink today.

That's it.
Eezee Peezee.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Very happy to hear this Forghetti!

I stopped for the next 24 hours...

When I stop for 24 hours.. 1 day turns into a week, 1 weeks turns into a month.. ECT.

To have the obsession of drinking lifted from me was a miracle, glad to hear the same for you
Old 03-06-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm with Amajor (even tho she keeps writing the word bowel all over this site ). How in the world can you make a forever goal? I cannot say I will never have a drink. I couldn't stay sober that way. It even pains me to read that goal on others' posts. For me, it is a setup for failure. Just my opinion. Good luck and prayers to you.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

It's so nice when you can actually think the words isn't it? It takes a while and I think it's definitely coupled with how ready you were when you quit.

It's a real milestone when you think about an upcoming event or going somewhere that alcohol will be involved and you actually feel gratitude that you aren't drinking.

alphaomega hit the nail on the head, that is TRUE freedom.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good for you! I will never drink again and I will never change my mind!!!

Have you heard of AVRT?

Here is a great thread about one person's experience:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ined-long.html
Old 03-06-2014, 12:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by Raider View Post
I'm with Amajor (even tho she keeps writing the word bowel all over this site ). How in the world can you make a forever goal? I cannot say I will never have a drink. I couldn't stay sober that way. It even pains me to read that goal on others' posts. For me, it is a setup for failure. Just my opinion. Good luck and prayers to you.
It does happen Raider but probably not for all. Some will probably never feel comfortable with that thought and that's ok. Whatever it takes to stay sober is what counts.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forghetti35 View Post
Used to make me uncomfortable. I have wanted to quit for sometime, but I believed I always really hoped to "cut back". This time I finally feel comfortable seeing my future without ever drinking again.......not even 1 more. It took me a while. I used to get anxious even thinking I'd never ever have ONE again. Frightened even. Now it's frightening to see the power alcohol had and has over. I can't drink in the future, & that's fine with me. I have a lot of work to do to get proper with my self and fix my life, but alcohol is not going to take part in the equation becauseone variable is "fixing" my life.
I understand where you are coming from, and it also took a while for me going through much the same thoughts as you did. What I have realized is that I've never actually enjoyed alcohol in terms of taste, social setting, etc. Rather, I enjoyed the effects of alcohol; so for me that was finding the most palatable thing I could gulp down the fastest that would get me drunk(er) as quickly as possible. That would often look like politely and slowly sipping a glass of wine at a dinner party and then excusing myself to the kitchen on the pretense to grab something but instead quickly glugging straight from a vodka bottle and then rummaging in the cutlery drawer to grab a utensil before rejoining the group at the table.

I'm early in sobriety and am sure there are some difficult times ahead, but at this moment I can't imagine one future scenario that would be better through a haze of alcohol whether that's a beach holiday, dancing at a night club or just a dinner with friends. I'm so freakin' sick and tired of so many "day afters" embraced in the nauseous fog of a hangover while the day is wasted lying quietly on the couch.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think examining the fear I felt at the idea of never drinking again, really put into perspective for me the fact that I indeed was addicted to alcohol. Nothing I have quit that I loved (Diet Cokes, red meat, etc.) filled me with fear or dread about quitting forever. Even things I still eat or do and love (pizza, yoga, reading) would make me very sad to have to quit them but the thought does not paralyze me with fear. In a way, it was very freeing and helpful to understand the difference and easier for me to understand how dangerous my attachment to alcohol really was before I quit.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Once I made six months sober I knew I'd never drink again. I've kept my word.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Once I made six months sober I knew I'd never drink again. I've kept my word.
Gosh. It's so weird I so clearly remember my first thread here and your support (and the support of others). That I could set down my drink halfway through that first night and know I would never drink again was just AMAZING!

FREEDOM!
Old 03-06-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Freedom is such a great word! The word that I am looking forward to experience the most apart from freedomis peace in all aspects of my mind, body and spirit. Something to aspire too x