Notices

baby steps towards freedom

Old 03-06-2014, 11:18 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
living sober

Good morning, Rar!

Your post made me smile - congrats on the new, comfortable shoes and the mobile! ;-)

I don't think it's actually so crazy/uncommon; just watch one episode from 'Sex in the City' and you'll see them celebrating a new pair of Manolo Blahniks with cocktails all the time, lol! And not just there; it's everywhere in the media and I can't really understand with all the fatal consequences alcohol has on so many lives that it's being promoted with the consent of all governments as THE socially acceptable drug of choice while spending billions of dollars in healthcare to deal with the fallout. But that's another issue.

Enjoy your new shoes and walk in them proud and sober!

PS: I really love the sobriety calendar, it's cute and encouraging, creating awareness just like breath-meditation on things we normally take for granted... I've had 634.000 sober heartbeats approx so far and will add another 24 hrs worth... :-)
Old 03-06-2014, 11:28 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by strayJ View Post
So I'm taking baby steps towards sobriety, one day at a time....
I am so so glad you finally posted! You will find so much support here. I wish I would have found this site when I first tried quitting. I didn't until I was 5 months sober.

One day at a time has served me well. Keep it simple and don't complicate it.

Hope to see more of you around here!
Old 03-06-2014, 11:42 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
living sober

Hello LadyinBC,

I would actually call SR the godfather of my modest sobriety... by reading here for a long time before I was ready to commit I learned so much, giving me many invaluable insights and a space to reflect upon my own using, and the role alcohol played in my life.

I'm VERY grateful to have found SR! But then they say something along the lines: When the pupil is ready, the teacher shows up... SR has been, and will be, this teacher. Happy to be here and thanks for the warm welcome!
Old 03-07-2014, 05:19 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Rar

"by reading here for a long time before I was ready to commit I learned so much, giving me many invaluable insights and a space to reflect upon my own using, and the role alcohol played in my life."

Yes, me too. I had already stopped drinking for a couple of days, but the jury was still out on whether or not I would/could commit to a life without alcohol. It wasn't until I found this forum and started reading the posts that I was ready to commit to my new alcohol free life.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:46 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
living sober

Hello dear least,

I'm doing very well, thank you! Unfortunately I can't reply to private messages so far - not enough posts yet! Will take care of that soon ;-)

I went on a long bicycle tour with my beloved 4-leggeds on a sunny and comparatively warm spring afternoon, birds singing in the trees, deer grazing in the setting sun, a peaceful picture-perfect day, almost kitschy... my mind is relatively quiet at the moment, so I could really enjoy it.

I'm grateful. :-)

By the way, these are my two males:

Wishing you and everyone else a lovely sober weekend,
Julia

Last edited by strayJ; 03-08-2014 at 11:47 AM. Reason: removed image brackets
Old 03-08-2014, 12:04 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Welcome Julia.

You speak better English than most native speakers. Myself included.

6 days is better than 0 days.

I'm on day 4 myself.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:06 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Julia, welcome to SR, baby steps are good xx
Old 03-08-2014, 12:43 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
living sober

Hi Imabuleva and Mags1!

@Imabuleva - Thanks for the compliment; I'm blushing... ;-) I love the language and I've always felt very comfortable in English-speaking countries for whatever reason. Anyhow, came across your posts on other threads and wanted to say that I love your avatar: Is it your cat? She/he is drop-dead gorgeous! I could cuddle her just like that ;-)

Wonderful that you're on day 4! I hope you're feeling well; we can do this together, can we?!

@Mags1: Wow, sober for more than 7 months - amazing! Yeah, out of the gloom... it's remarkable how much better I feel already after only 8 days sober. I won't let myself forget how it used to be.