Notices

Has anyone ever met somebody with cirrhosis?

Old 03-04-2014, 09:35 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

Lost my Grandfather to it, I remember seeing him in Hospital.
Best friend didn't have a chance for cirrhosis, withdrawal killed him.
My brother never got it either. He might have later on.
These bouts of loneliness suck.
It's funny, I'm not alone technically.
Just inside.
Wait... that's another thread.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:38 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

While I understand the good intentions, contacting any hospital to be connected to a cirrhosis patient is not a path to pursue. Specifically:

1. Hospitals must abide by federal privacy laws that protect the right of all patients to have their confidentiality maintained. Identifying a patient by any condition in order to seek his or her willingness to be connected to someone with whom he/she has no relationship would be a serious breach of those laws, one that would carry significant penalties.

2. State privacy laws also would be breached. Penalties, too.

3. Beyond legal protections, this would be an enormous ethical violation. Under no circumstance is it ethical to seek out the course of action recommended above.

4. Volunteering time at a hospital is a worthy endeavor, one that should be driven by the desire to serve others, not fulfill one's curiosity. It requires a screening process that, in any hospital I know of, would require an application, references and a criminal background check.

You note that you are from Leeds. I assume British hospitals carry the same protections for their patients as do those in the States.

You can learn about cirrhosis by checking any reputable site online. I'd begin with webmd or the Centers for Disease Control.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:34 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

In my surgical practice, patients could be asked if they minded someone watching their surgery. We had many observe. They only had to sign confidentiality agreements and have permission from the patient. Yes, there are all those privacy concerns, but it is very simple to get permission. If you are still interested in pursuing, I would suggest you call GI docs in the area and ask if they have any patients with cirrhosis that would be willing to discuss their condition with you. Your Primary Care doctor may be able to help with this, as well, especially if it helps you maintain sobriety.