Notices

This sucks... :(

Old 03-03-2014, 06:38 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I was a weekend binge drinker and could be persuaded for other occasions as well. Hawkeye hit the nail on the head for me, get busy. For those first days, weeks and months, it helped a ton. I read, cleaned (I got over that one quickly lol) went to dance classes, the gym, etc.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:51 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Best wishes on your biopsy. My thoughts are with you - stay strong and try to think positively. And I totally understand how you're feeling about drinking - My ex used to be able to drink or just as easily not drink without any feelings one way or another. Me, if I couldn't, I was "missing out" and it's all I could think of! I wish I could be normal when it comes to booze, but I will never be...... Btw, for me it was frozen yogurt... tubs of it!
Old 03-03-2014, 07:13 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

You sure have a lot in your plate all at once! Congrats on the 3 days sober and best of luck with your biopsy results.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:15 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by UTVOLFAN View Post
What do you mean?
AAs big book describes different types or drinker.

"I'm on my third day without drinking and I'm super grouchy and miserable and he seems totally okay. Every time I complain that I want to give up and have a drink, he is like "just think about something else, or do something to get your mind off of it." Which makes me even grouchier because that is easier said than done, at least for me.

The hard drinker can quit if he has a good reason, like supporting his partner, and he won't have too many problems with it.

The real alcoholic on the other hand, does not function well without alcohol. "They are restless, irritable and discontented, unless they can again experience the sense of ease and comfort which comes at once by taking a few drinks-drinks which they see others taking with impunity."

For the real alcoholic there is more to recovery than just stopping drinking.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:10 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
EndGame

I'm white knuckling it right now, and I'm here for support. I don't know what else to do but take it one minute at a time...
With all your current challenges, this is a great time to start seeing a therapist.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:27 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Recipient of Mercy

Originally Posted by FindTheAnswer View Post
I eat ice cream maybe once a year and not terribly excited when I do. Tomorrow will be 4 weeks for me and for the past week, I kept thinking about ice cream. I actually made vanilla pudding one night, added almond extract, and froze it. It helped. I have been a hermit the last 3 weeks due to losing my job, but I wanted ice cream so badly the other night, I went out and bought 2 different ones! It does seem to help. And, it is still less calories than the bottle of wine I drank every night. More fat calories, though. But, don't they say alcohol is metabolized like fat?? Either way, I'm willing to eat it if it gets me to midnight and I get to check off another day.
I am totally tracking with about the calories. I don't know how I weigh less than 600lbs given the amount of liquid calories I was taking in. Actually, that was one way I started to realize I *might* have a teeny tiny problem... I started looking for diet alternatives to my drinks so that I could stay drunk enough for my ever growing tolerance but without gaining weight. Diet vodka, skinny margaritas, red wine, ultra light beer... Even with my calorie wiser choices, I'd be willing to bet I was taking in at least 1,000 a day in alcohol calories (including mixers when applicable). There is no way I could eat 1000 calories of ice cream in one sitting, so I feel like the whole ice cream thing is okay.

And I think Zelda is right about my body craving sugar, because I have always been a diet soda girl, but I am crazy in love with this generic "Peach" soda they have at my nearest grocery store. Not diet, tastes like somebody took a bag of those gummy peach rings and liquefied them. Delightful.

And speaking of weight management still, I walked three miles during my work breaks today. I downloaded this ap called "Map My Walk" and it uses GPS to figure out how far you walk, how fast you're walking, and how many calories you've burned (you also enter biometric data to help calculate the calorie part). Anyway, I figured out that three times around the parking lot is 1 mile, so I did it on all my breaks. It really helped with the desire to smoke and the general feeling of agitation I've had since being off booze. I'm glad I exercised today too, because tonight my husband took my son to football and my daughter tagged along. I was home alone and TOTALLY pondered sneaking just one tiny drink. But I was still feeling healthy from walking earlier I guess, because I didn't. So I survived another few minutes without alcohol, and I'm proud and happy for that.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:30 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Recipient of Mercy

Thanks Mike, and also wow... that sucks. I am kind of afraid I will not ever have "adult fun" without drinking. I have been having a blast hanging with my little munchkins and not being drunk mommy.... but when the kids are in bed and it is just me and my husband it is sort of awkward. I don't know how to be a fun adult without having a buzz. Obviously I wasn't always like this, so what in the hell happened to me? I am seriously about to cry at the thought, which according to lots of posts I've read on here is normal. But gosh... UGH!
Old 03-04-2014, 06:52 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Congrats on another day UT fan !

What a great idea to use your breaks to knock out 3 miles .

( something about those three little dancing emoticons,
......says it all !?! lo )
Old 03-04-2014, 07:29 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Recipient of Mercy

Originally Posted by topspin View Post
Congrats on another day UT fan !

What a great idea to use your breaks to knock out 3 miles .

( something about those three little dancing emoticons,
......says it all !?! lo )
Agreed... those are my favorite emoticons of. all. time!!!

And then there is this one, which I also enjoy for giggles
We are blessed to have a very expressive compilation of smileys around here... just another thing to be grateful for.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:48 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I think over time with sobriety your definition of fun will change. I've read several posts were folks that have been sober for a longer period of time begin to different things and fill the hours they would have drank with more productive leisure activities. I know for me that drinking quit being fun a long time ago.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:51 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Congrats on making it another day!

Dirk is right about the fun thing. Instead of sitting around drunk, I'm constantly tinkering around with my computer, playing around with my DSLR or doing some project around the house. The sense of accomplishment fills me with far more enjoyment than drinking ever did!
Old 03-04-2014, 09:55 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=UTVOLFAN;4508735]
And then there is this one, which I also enjoy for giggles
QUOTE]

oh, I never saw that one !? lo

is "bag" inferred !?!
Old 03-05-2014, 12:26 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Thanks Mike, and also wow... that sucks. I am kind of afraid I will not ever have "adult fun" without drinking. I have been having a blast hanging with my little munchkins and not being drunk mommy.... but when the kids are in bed and it is just me and my husband it is sort of awkward. I don't know how to be a fun adult without having a buzz. Obviously I wasn't always like this, so what in the hell happened to me? I am seriously about to cry at the thought, which according to lots of posts I've read on here is normal. But gosh... UGH!
If I can offer some hope? There is a solution. From the AA Big Book,

"The tremendous fact for every one of us is that we have discovered a common solution. We have a way out on which we can absolutely agree, and upon which we can join in brotherly and harmonious action. This is the great news this book carries to those who suffer from alcoholism."

And it doesnt mean a dull life either:

"We have shown how we got out from under. You say, "Yes, I'm willing. But am I to be consigned to a life where I shall be stupid, boring and glum, like some righteous people I see? I know I must get along without liquor, but how can I? Have you a sufficient substitute?"

Yes, there is a substitute and it is vastly more than that. It is a fellowship in Alcoholics Anonymous. There you will find release from care, boredom and worry. Your imagination will be fired. Life will mean something at last. The most satisfactory years of your existence lie ahead. Thus we find the fellowship, and so will you. "

I suggest obtaining and studying the book Alcoholics Anonymous. I went down this road and found that the book told me the truth.