Notices

Anti-depressants and recovery

Old 03-02-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anti-depressants and recovery

I was wondering if anyone else is/was on anti-depressants before and/or during their recovery. I'm wondering how it may have effected them.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was drinking quite heavily when I first started AD's and I continued drinking on them for another 5 years. I never really gave the meds a chance to work and my depression never let up. I pretty much wasted 5 years worth of prescriptions. I went to rehab, sobered up, and was put on a different AD which, without having to compete with a booze-soaked brain, have been much better. AD's will not work as designed when alcohol abuse is present.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was just the opposite. I was drinking normally (like actual real person normal) then after a few months on ADs my drinking ramped up significantly.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

At about 3 months sober I felt awful and went on ADs for the short term.I did feel better though was going through the menopause and now on proper meds for that and come off ADs. if you need them you need them-what does your doc think?
Old 03-02-2014, 12:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
p***enger

I was never on any meds but a year after I quit drinking I found that I couldn't get past the mental obsession and the depression I had when I was actively drinking was returning. I saw a clinical social worker (who is also in AA) who referred me to a psychiatrist, who put me on antidepressants. I've been on them almost a month and I'm feeling a lot better. My outlook is no longer bleak (bleak is about as good as it ever got for me in the last couple of years) and I don't ruminate obsessively over negative thoughts. I haven't had a drink since I've been on meds.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I was on paxil when I was drinking and not a good combination. I did stay on them after I quit. I am not longer on them. It is hard to know if they help me in the beginning of my sobriety or not as I was still anxious and depressed. But who knows maybe I would have been worse if I hadn't of been on them. I don't really know.

Like someone said you have to be sober in order for the meds to work properly. Drinking pretty well counteracts that.

I have been on paxil before for depression and anxiety and they did work. Sometimes the chemical balance in our brain goes out of whack and the meds help put it back together again so that you can cope. Not surprising that the chemicals do go out of whack especially after what we have put our bodies thru. They are not happy pill that makes the whole work shine and you are singing happy happy days, but they can help with the anxiety.

Talk to your doctor and if you do go on them make sure that you take note of any symptoms you have. Everyone is different and needs a different dosage. If you are on them and you get even more anxious or depressed go back and see your doctor right away as your dosage could be off or you need something else. A good doctor will monitor you while you are on them. I can't stress seeing your doctor enough if you are feeling worse, this is very important.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had depression since my teenage years but had never been able to get it properly diagnosed and treated. For me, I had to deal with the depression and take antidepressants to level the playing field, before I could recover. I still take the antidepressants today and probably always will. I would never want to go back to that black, dark place again.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wastinglife....I could have written most of that word for word.

I've been on and off AD for many years but never thought they worked so gave up each time. But each time I was drinking heavily so of course they didn't work. I'm on new ones now that seemed to be helping the last couple of weeks while I was sober.

If having to take ADs give them a fair chance sober. Depression whether it be mild or major is not pleasant and if not careful will haunt you for a long time.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I too was on Paxil, and as LadyinBC states, not a good combination with alcohol. I have been alcohol-free for over a year now and switched to Lexapro ( less side effects for me personally ) and it definitely takes the edge off of my anxiety. The key is to get off and stay off the booze and let the meds work. And then you van start working on your issues of why you were self medicating with alcohol.

The biggest hurdle I had was finally admitting to my M.D. That I had anxiety and was self medicating with alcohol. Should have done it years ago, but we all live and learn. Hope this helps.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've been on Zoloft (sertraline) for many years, before, during, and after my drinking days. My ADs work a lot better now that I'm not drinking. Like Anna, I will probably always take them as they improve my mood and keep the depression at bay.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've been on one AD or another for the past 32 years. I don't think I will ever be without them. I don't think they are for everyone but I have clinical depression and life without them is a scary thought to me.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dogged14 View Post
I was wondering if anyone else is/was on anti-depressants before and/or during their recovery. I'm wondering how it may have effected them.
when I was in Recovery many years ago (unsuccessful attempt)
I was taking some prescribed pills from the doc

this time around I wondered what I could do differently
so as to stay clean and sober
one of the things in which I did different was
giving up the prescribed pills
I think that this was one of the keys for me staying sober for this long

question
if I think that I truly don't need them
should I really be taking them
in my case (only) don't think so

Mountainman