Notices

Feeling good about a stressful day

Old 03-01-2014, 01:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
RaleighSoxFan

Feeling good about a stressful day

So today I saw my wife (separated) for the first time in 3 months. She brought some stuff over to my mother's house, where I'm staying temporarily. I saw my dog for the first time in that time frame as well. Very very stressful and emotional.
My mother's husband also had a talk with me about finding God. Nothing wrong with the idea. I'm not super religious, but am not against religion. It's his only way though. It's also bad timing cause I just recently got out of jail this week, have no job, face legal issues, and am fighting to stay sober.

That being said, I FELT emotion today. Even though it was stress....I FELT it. Better than being numb. I also worked out again for 2 hours. I dealt with a tough day and didn't drink and had no wish to. It has been exhausting but in a good and beneficial way. It feels like I have started to take a wall down brick by brick.....there is a lot of work to do, but I can see the other side.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
In education we refer to the concept of the "productive struggle", which suggests that when students are allowed to struggle with content they come to a deep understanding, a true knowing or internalization of what they have learned. I think the same applies to all of us in life, whether it be learning a new skill, learning a concept, or learning how to live a new way without drugs or alcohol. We need not fear the struggle, but rather look at it as a growth opportunity.
"In Eastern cultures, it's just assumed that struggle is a predictable part of the learning process. Everyone is expected to struggle in the process of learning, and so struggling becomes a chance to show that you, the student, have what it takes emotionally to resolve the problem by persisting through that struggle."

We all have what it takes. We just don't always know it.

Glad you preserved despite obvious emotional challenges. Continue that forward momentum, struggle and all. It's worth it.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds like you have a great attitude Forghetti

D
Old 03-01-2014, 02:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forghetti35 View Post
My mother's husband also had a talk with me about finding God.
Nothing wrong with the idea.
a good suggestion given there
but
let's remember that God's not lost
if
we seek him with all of our hearts (requirement)

MB
Old 03-01-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you got thru a rough day without drinking.