Notices

Giving it a try

Old 02-24-2014, 06:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Giving it a try

Hello Folks,

I'm new to this. I've been a heavy drinker for years, ranging from 3-8 drinks per night. People have asked me why I drink so much and it's kind of hard to say. Truth is, I just plain love to drink... I love the taste and I love the way it makes me feel. However, I do typically get up in the morning feeling sluggish and vowing to take a day off. But I never do until now.

I've never done anything like show up to a work engagement drunk, or miss something in the morning due to hangover. I don't binge or black out (at least not since college). Just sipping from 5pm until I go to bed.

I have a wife and kids and they are wonderful. I want to get this under control so I can be a normal drinker and live a healthy life. If I can't, I will have to quit for good. Decided firmly two days ago that I would quit for at least a month and see how I feel. Got out of bed Sunday morning (with a headache) and poured everything down the drain- all the gin and whiskey (my favorites). Still several bottles of wine but I'm not much of a wine drinker so I'm not tempted. It made me sad pouring the liquor down the drain, like I was throwing good friends out the front door.

So it's been 48 hours- the longest I've gone in years, I think. I feel fine physically. Just a little bored and maybe irritable. I am missing the warm fuzz that usually hangs around my whole evening.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

spend some time here reading others' stories...

look for the commonalities.... be honest with yourself....

Maybe you can be a 'normal' drinker.

Most of us have been down that road, some many many times - and discovered that we cannot.

Regardless, I wish you the best and welcome.... this is a good place to start.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Welcome to the board my friend, there is a lot of great support here. You CAN do this, it can be done. From one long standing RUSH fan to another I'll start you off with this:

You can surrender
Without a prayer
But never really pray
Pray without surrender

You can fight
Without ever winning
But never ever win
Without a fight

I'm glad that you're here. This is a tough battle that can be fought and won. This board has made the difference in my life and it can yours too.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks LadyBlue. Last Rush concert we went to I was already buzzing hard when they opened with Subdivisions and I started bawling... hits home w/ the whole suburban childhood thing... unfortunately I was drunk by the end of the show and I don't remember it much. Thanks for your kind words.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rush2112 View Post
Hello Folks,

I'm new to this. I've been a heavy drinker for years, ranging from 3-8 drinks per night. People have asked me why I drink so much and it's kind of hard to say. Truth is, I just plain love to drink... I love the taste and I love the way it makes me feel. However, I do typically get up in the morning feeling sluggish and vowing to take a day off. But I never do until now.

I've never done anything like show up to a work engagement drunk, or miss something in the morning due to hangover. I don't binge or black out (at least not since college). Just sipping from 5pm until I go to bed.

I have a wife and kids and they are wonderful. I want to get this under control so I can be a normal drinker and live a healthy life. If I can't, I will have to quit for good. Decided firmly two days ago that I would quit for at least a month and see how I feel. Got out of bed Sunday morning (with a headache) and poured everything down the drain- all the gin and whiskey (my favorites). Still several bottles of wine but I'm not much of a wine drinker so I'm not tempted. It made me sad pouring the liquor down the drain, like I was throwing good friends out the front door.

So it's been 48 hours- the longest I've gone in years, I think. I feel fine physically. Just a little bored and maybe irritable. I am missing the warm fuzz that usually hangs around my whole evening.
Welcome. Good job on 48 hours. You will find lots of stories, thoughts and very surprised how many on SR understand the pain we are going through.
I was just about to post a new thread about a revelation that hit me last night. About drinking and my connection/love affair.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Similar story here, but I'm more of a binger. Great family life and no one is pressing me to quit. But I know I can do much better in this life if I do quit! I have tried cutting down and it never seems to work for too long. But you never know, you may be one who can do that. I'm also not getting any younger and I can tell drinking has somewhat affected my health. Welcome and I think you'll find a lot of great support here!!

On a separate note, I love your member name! My first concert ever was Rush on 1983 Signals Tour. I also had 2112 album painted on my denim jacket back in the 80's : ). I actually got to meet Alex and Geddy backstage this past summer at a show in NY. Life is good!! Good luck and welcome to the family!
Old 02-24-2014, 06:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Betterlife. I'd love to meet those guys!

I am eager to see where this goes. I wonder how long until I stop thinking about reaching for the glass that's not there.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The longer you're sober, the less you'll think about drinking. The urge to drink will get fainter and fainter until you don't notice it.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Rush

D
Old 02-24-2014, 07:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to meet you Rush! I'm glad you've realized what alcohol is doing to your life. You'll find a lot of help & encouragement here. You can do this!
Old 02-24-2014, 11:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR
I think most of us on here tried to be 'normal' drinkers but failed. Being a normal drinker isn't something you need to try- people who are normal drinkers just are with no effort or thought.

When it is out of control and we come here it's a long way from normal and not something that can be learned. total abstinence is the only solution,for me anyway.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Welcome to SR
Story sounds familiar to mine so we can never drink normally again. But when the pain gets great enough, you'll quit 1 day @ a time
Old 02-24-2014, 11:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Rush
Ditto everything said above.
I tried the moderate thing so many times. It didn't work for me and in many ways I feel relived that the battle is finally over. I simply intend not to drink again.
SR is a fabulous site where you will find round the clock support and advice from people who really understand what you are going through
Old 02-24-2014, 11:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome rush.
Xxx
Old 02-25-2014, 03:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Three days now and feeling a definite "itch."
Old 02-25-2014, 04:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Itch relievers:

Watch a movie
Read a book
Anything that takes your mind off of it

This is an excellent link from the board too!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

You CAN do this!

Note: RUSH concerts are exponentially better sober
Old 02-25-2014, 07:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Love the name! Welcome to the forums. Best of luck to you in whatever you decide. Only you can truly know if you have a problem. If you really want to stop for a while and find you can't, then living sober is the route I recommend.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Ya know, I feel good to have gone three days without. I have so many habits built around drinking. I'd even drink while I worked in the evenings (at home). It's eye opening.