Notices

Sober Winter Blues

Old 02-24-2014, 03:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober Winter Blues

I am struggling with all the snow and sub-zero temps without end. Does anyone want to share their tips on combatting winter depression (and no, can't afford a trip to a sunny warm beach)? Thanks.

Just complaining about it is welcome too. My attitude sucks at the moment and misery loves company.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry I have no input on this one North.
I hope the worst is over.

D
Old 02-24-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can sympathize. We have been slammed in Michigan this year, and it seems like there's no end in sight.

Vigorous sessions in the gym with cardio workouts, can really help the lack of sunshine and frigid temps. If you don't have access to the gym, try at least to walk 15-30 minutes outdoors to get some semblance of sunlight. I also supplement this with light yoga/stretching, and meditation.

For diet, try to boost your levels of Vitamin D to make up for the lack of sunlight. Also, add Omega 3 fats from fish and flaxseed oil. Also, LOTs of fruits and veggies.

I hope this helps. The winter has been really rough, but spring is around the corner...

...I think....
Old 02-24-2014, 04:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I second the gym. I've run hundreds of miles on the treadmill this winter. Just feels good to sweat.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Ohio got it's share of snow and cold this winter - ugh. Take heart in the fact that February is nearly over and we only have to get thru March until the good weather comes.

love the snowman on the bench.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

I've been posting complaints about this for a few weeks now.
It's been one of the worst winters, financially and weather - wise, in a looooong time.
Amazingly, I'm dealing with it without booze.
Stay strong and give it a good fight - spring is coming....
Old 02-24-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone. I am doing the gym about 6 hours a week and about an hour a day walking the dogs. Lots of exercise with all the shoveling and roof raking. This is my first sober winter in years and it is really kicking my ass. March 1 I will have one year and I am hanging on to that goal.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I struggle with this too. The short cold days are rough. I think exercise is key for me. It just lifts my mood in general. I realize it's hard to get outside to exercise in the extreme cold. I'm lucky enough to have access to a gym. I also try to set aside time for a "warm" activity. I bundle under blankets and read for an hour in the evening. It's relaxing and the cold makes being bundled up even better.

March 1 is almost here. You'll make it
Old 02-24-2014, 05:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

I'll jump in to complain! Long cold winter, way too much snow, and people are cranky. AV has attempted to visit more often than usual. I feel better the minute the sun comes out and it warms up just a few degrees. I wish I would exercise to chase the doldrums. I just stay inside and overeat and then feel worse. Ugh.

You are almost to one year-fabulous!!
Old 02-24-2014, 05:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I eat a lot of junk food in the winter months and I have got to watch it. Sugar rush and then a crash, just like when I was drinking.

Got through today. People are cranky. We have skinny little icy paths instead of sidewalks and people are just being jerks about passing. Got into a bit of a shouting match with a jogger who thought I should leap in a snow bank so she wouldn't have to slow down.

Oh well. She's sick of it too, I guess.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

AHHHHH i can totally relate!!!!! My husband came home and told me that we have to find a better way than to be all grumpy like we have been of late because of this neverending deepfreeze. Ok, well what has helped me is, I put on as many layers as i can and my ipod and walk the dog. I find that having great/new great music helps. We have been out everyday in this and we are averaging about -15 and colder since December. It doesn't feel as torturous if I can at least get out of the house. We also can't go anywhere this year. grrrrrrrr and brrrrrrrrrrrr. i hope you feel better!!
Old 02-24-2014, 06:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

aint sure but I'm dealing with stinking hot days, dry dusty winds and the like at rehab.

keep trudging even when the snow is waist high......

or the sun is burning hahahaha

v
Old 02-24-2014, 07:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Research nootropics and vitamin D3.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Grew up in the north and got the blues every February. It's largely a biological thing IMO. Lack of vitamin D (due to decreased sunlight exposure), and lack of physical activity can both contribute to Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). Even now, living in a much warmer and sunnier location, I take food supplements (vitamin D and St. Johns Wart) and get lots of exercise.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hang in there, North! Stick around here! We're always good for a smile!