Notices

Now comes the tough part!!!

Old 02-18-2014, 11:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Now comes the tough part!!!

Hi i'm Lou.
I'm not so new to recovery but I am an extreme newcomer to sharing my story with others.
Codine is an old foe of mine. I have shared a very complicated relationship with the little white pill for the past 7 years. At my worst, I was taking around 1800-2000mg of DHC Dy-hydrocodine every day... now I have been taking 150-200 mg per day. However, I have really struggled to get to this point and my GP has not been making it very easy...
Over the past few days I have been really unwell & at my docs appointment today (instead of trying to get to the bottom of whats been going on) my doc decides to write me a script for another 3 pain medications... I was not happy at all and finally decided enough is enough. I walked out of her office, leaving the script on the table, sat on the first bench I came across & cried.
After I had got over my tantrum I took a slow walk back home, all the while thinking "I don't need all this in my life, this constant round of doctors and pills and chemists, running out early and feeling like rubbish for a day or two, then starting the whole cycle again"
So... I am going this last stretch alone. I have torn up my remaining scripts & spoken to my family to let them know I will be out of action for a little while.
I am determine to be rid of my chemical nightmare once and for all
xxx Lou xxx
(sorry if my rant makes for hard reading, I have always been rubbish at writing )
Old 02-18-2014, 12:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! I'm glad you joined us. This is a great place for support in getting clean.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. It sounds like you're making some serious moves! I think you should be proud of that. You're being very brave. Keep posting. You can do this. :-)
Old 02-18-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Lou - you'll find a lot of understanding and support here

D
Old 02-18-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Lou - be proud of yourself for seeing what needs to be done. Some never admit it - and never find their way out of the trap.

We're glad you are here - I know it'll help you to have people to share your thoughts with as you recover. You are never alone.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Tea Drinker

I understand your situation only too well ADayInTheLifeOf...I hope that you manage to stay off those bl***y pills. If you find that cold turkey is too difficult there is an organisation that can help with an individualised taper plan and support. PM me if you would like info. Best Wishes, Meg.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Codeine withdrawal is really really hard, I've been there. You can do this.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Tea Drinker

newstar do you mind if I ask how you did it...taper or cold turkey?
Old 02-18-2014, 05:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Lou!

I'm glad you've decided to stop using the codeine. We're here to offer support.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all very much for your kind and supportive words, it really gives me the boost I need. I didn't get a wink of sleep last night & today my body is screaming for the Codine... It is painful but I know that if I don't go through it I am going to be tangled back up in a routine that's just not working for me. Just gotta keep in mind that this WILL end and I WILL regain control of my life.
I will keep you posted as to how im getting on xxx Lou xxx