Notices

I'm done.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm done.

I am done with drinking.
I'm done with thinking Im not an alcoholic because I don't drink every day and don't get withdrawals. Getting blackout drunk 2-4 times a week is quite enough of an issue, I think. When I drink it is always to get drunk, with the exception of when I am playing music out, which is the only time I drink like a normal human. (don't worry, i dont see this as an example that i can drink moderately, I can't.) I got a DUI 2.5 years ago and I am glad as i never got in an accident or hurt anyone, and I have not driven intoxicated since, while i certainly would have if not for the DUI.
I have a good job and function fine, and I don't know that I couldnt keep doing it this way for quite awhile. But, I don't want to. The last few years, every week has been like groundhog week. I haven't had a serious relationship in 5 years, and while I would never be physically or verbally abusive to a woman, drunk or sober, I believe my love of drinking has kept me from being emotionally available to the women i have dated during this time.
I got blackout drunk last night and have had the conversation with myself on the day after many times. I am trying to make today different by putting it out there on this forum in the hope that I will be better at keeping my word to you than i am at keeping my word to myself right now. Besides that, my plan is to keep busy, really get in great shape, log on here at least once per day and go to AA meetings on my tempted days. I do well if i have plans or know I will need to drive somewhere, but any days where i do not have plans after work turn into drinking days. Next test will be Wednesday this week.
I have been lurking here for a couple of weeks and really appreciate the information, help and love i see here. Sorry about the novel!
Old 02-17-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you decided to post. It sounds like you have a good plan.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you. Good luck friend.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome and good luck xxxxx
Old 02-17-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AlmA

Dear Longpasttime,

Glad you realised of your problem and you are going to do something about it!
that is a huge step... wanting to change!
You need strategies for when the craving comes and your head tells you to give up!!!

AA meetings can help you and give you guidance.
but you need to do some planing in your life,
as you will have more time now that you are sober!
have to think to start sports, hobbies, join classes, do something you always wanted...
There is more to life than drinking!

Keep coming here to learn and share, and you can come in the chat room when you need to talk or can join some threads...

Best of Luck in your new life
Old 02-17-2014, 02:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome and take care. We will be thinking of you and glad you've drawn the line too. We are all in this together!
Old 02-17-2014, 02:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks so much you guys, it really means a lot! I'm very open to suggestions, and I appreciate yours Aiko. Besides what i mentioned, I plan on doing meetup group fun/new stuff and really trying to get great at music with classes and lots of practice. I have written 1 song and lots of lyrics and ideas, I am hoping to become passionate about writing. I need to let go of the romanticism of the drinking songwriter as I have had years of opportunity and not much production Staying busy will help, but I think my big hurdle will be getting okay with being home with no plans and not having that be a trigger, but a time to be enjoyed. I havent traveled much and did the math and the amount i spend on drinking per year would be a heck of a nice trip or two or three. Thanks again for the warm welcome!
Old 02-17-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome longpasttime

Coming to SR really helped me see that alcoholics come in all shapes sizes, and types

you'll find a lot of understanding and support here.
Come check out our 'Class of February' support thread:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-2-a-5.html
D
Old 02-17-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You've come to a good place for support. I'm glad you found us and joined the family.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm on day four. Let's do it. Your story sounds like me some years back. Thing is eventually your work life will start to suffer and it will be everyday instead of four times a week. It only gets worse never better.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am new here too and my plan for now is to wake up every day and remind myself to not drink anything with alcohol in it....I'm gonna have to do this one day at a time as I tend to forget about the bad part after a couple of weeks.
Glad you decided to take this step:-))
Old 02-18-2014, 08:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Dasheisdone - glad you are here too and thanks! Funny how the bad part is so evident on the day after and then kind of fades.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Longpasttime View Post
Dasheisdone - glad you are here too and thanks! Funny how the bad part is so evident on the day after and then kind of fades.
I know....what can I do to keep the bad stuff fresh enough in my mind to keep me from drinking? I'm just trying to brainwash myself to know that I don't know when to stop, so I can't start...I don't trust myself anymore....and I love waking up on weekends without hangover!
Old 02-18-2014, 02:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Posting here regularly helped remind me of the bad stuff. I found it much harder to argue that everythings fine when it's all there written out in front of you.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You've made a great decision longpasttime. I'm glad you are seeing what drinking's doing to your life. We all understand & are here to help.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You guys are so awesome! I kind of hate what technology has done (everyone on their devices all the time, more concerned with recording stuff than experiencing it, etc) but this place is a heck of a great result!! And great quote in your sig from Illusions, I forgot how much I love that book and look forward to rereading it soon-