Notices

Newcomer

Old 02-11-2014, 09:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JBL

Newcomer

Hello,

I am happy to be here. I am 30 years old and only on day 2 but am excited to continue this journey after many, many failed attempts.
My drinking habit is (has been) 7-9 beers/night 4-6 times per week. Of course, I would sometimes go 4-5 straight days like this. It has cost me so much money, my social skills, and turned me into a liar. Not to mention my horrible eating habits. I hide beer in my house, my car, anywhere to keep it away from my family. I wake up feeling disgusted with myself after each drinking episode. It has be awful for my self esteem and I am ready to change. I have been down this road before but never dedicated enough to post on a forum and speak my thoughts. I am very grateful that this forum exists and am excited to continuing reading the success stories on this site. I will stay strong. I will stay strong!
Old 02-11-2014, 09:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats for posting and finding this site. You can do this! You are young and ready to not sneak around (so many of us have) and develop a healthier lifestyle.

Keep your eyes on this site, it's helped me.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Rar

Welcome JBL. I'm new here also. Today is my Day 10. Hubby and I would start out the evening with the intent of a couple of beers. Hubby would stop after two or three and eat dinner. I would continue drinking until I had 7 or 8 beers and then maybe eat a bit of dinner, sometimes after he went to bed. I understand your feelings of disgust and low self esteem the next day. It's wonderful to wake up in the morning and realize you've had nothing to drink. It's a big esteem booster and something to be proud of. So far at this beginning of my journey, waking up in the morning without those feelings of regret is one of the best perks of being sober. Congratulations on taking the first step.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome JBL XXX
Old 02-11-2014, 05:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JBL

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone. Feeling ok today, except for lightheadedness and extra nervousness, especially on my way home, when I usually go pick up beer...I felt very out of it on the drive home.
Home now. Feeling good, just made a nice, healthy dinner and planning to browse the forums for a while.
I have a doctors appointment tomorrow..just a 1 year check up. I would like to confide in my doctor about my drinking habits the past 10 years. Any particular tests they will likely run?

Thanks everyone!
Old 02-11-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome JBL

We're all different in terms of general health and clinical history.
Just be honest with your Dr and they'll take it from there.

D
Old 02-11-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Mine didn't take any tests, except blood pressure and pulse rates but had a boatload of questions, such as are you suicidal. Just be honest so you can get the best care possible. They can't help if you lie. Believe me they've heard it all. Not one eyebrow was raised
Old 02-11-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

They'll likely run liver function tests as well as routine blood work. Do be honest with your doctor. They are there to help you.

I'm glad you found us and joined the family.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you posted, and I know how self-esteem takes a beating when we are drinking. You will start to feel better about yourself soon.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome JBL! I love your positive attitude. There's no doubt that you can do this. SR will help with the anxiety and give you plenty of encouragement.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
JBL

Hi All. Back here on day 3 of sobriety.

I visited my doctor today and spoke with him candidly about my drinking habits for the past 12 years (and the fact that I chew tobacco when I drink) and he was very comforting. He of course agreed that what I was struggling with based upon my habits, family history, drinking patters, etc.. was an addiction, and to give it a specific name, alcoholism. I of course, concur with his diagnosis. The physical exam went well and he said I looked to be in good shape. Heading in tomorrow to get my blood drawn. Hopefully all will be clear there as well.

He also suggested I see a psychiatrist to deal with my alcoholism. I would like to but I really do not have the disposable income at the moment. I hope to be able to soon, but we will see. SB is being great. And you all are a wonderful support system. I know where my path is headed and it is sticking with sobriety.

I am feeling well today. No urges as we speak. Just got back from a run and feeling positive about my path forward.

Thanks to everyone for being here for me!
Old 02-12-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard JBL.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
JBL

Hi Everyone
Day 4 here and feeling pretty good. Received results of my blood work today and everything looked normal, so that is a nice relief. Continuing the fight. Little anxious today, but got some exercise in and happy to be home to spend (sober!) time with my wife.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Keep going, JBL! You are doing great!
Old 02-14-2014, 08:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Raider View Post
Believe me they've heard it all. Not one eyebrow was raised
+1. I laid it all out and not one eyebrow was raised either.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I forgot to add: WELCOME, JBL! There are some wonderful folks around here and their words of wisdom and encouragement are priceless.