Notices

Just looking for a friend

Old 02-10-2014, 05:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just looking for a friend

Hello let me start off by saying I am drunk. That doesn't mean anything I say is not true, quite the contrary, I think we all know this. I'm just looking for someone to listen. My name is Chris and I'm 19 years old. I love playing video games, eating out, going to Michigan State basketball and football games. The reason I'm here is to meet people who feel like me or can explain the reason I feel the way I feel. I've been drinking since about 15 years old. It started off with the fairly routine high school parties and social gatherings with friends. I never used to black out but as the years went on (around 17-18) people would tell me things I would do that I would never remember. I'm always the drunkest of my friends. There have been nights where I've felt so horrible for what I have said or done and told myself I would never drink again. I think a lot of us know how this ends up though. Legally I can not drink so this prevents me from doing so on a regular basis. I do have friends that help me when I get that urge however. Whenever I face a challenge in life I find the best answer is to get drunk and forget about it. I don't have an alcoholic mindset of needing to constantly drink to cope but I do have a knack for not knowing when to quit drinking. If I get 2 or 3 beers in me I won't stop drinking until I either pass out or the alcohol is gone. I've drank others alcohol before not caring of the consequences only caring for getting drunker. I guess my question is do I need help? I shouldn't really have to ask should I? A girlfriend I've been with for the last year recently told me she is pregnant and then preceded to leave me 3 weeks after. I've been drinker a lot lately and anyone's feedback could really help me. This is the last and only place I can turn too.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Chris,
I think the fact that you're asking if you need help and writing when drunk are pretty clear signals that you probably, infact, need help.
Getting help was the scariest and best thing I ever did.
Please reach out!!! Your brain isn't even fully developed yet (can you believe it???) and we would hate to see you burning cells before you even get a chance to use them.
P.S. (I was born in MI. GR. But haven't lived there in forever)
xo
Old 02-10-2014, 06:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Chris, it sounds like you're ready do make a change in your life and we're here for you.

We do understand how hard this is.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Simply Grateful

You have all the friends you could ever want right here on these boards. Keep coming back and keep sharing!

Old 02-10-2014, 06:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

unfortunately it doesn't improve unless you make conscious effort to put an end to it.

for those who tend to drink "too much", "blackout", regret and use alcohol as a coping tool a vast majority of us, things took things for the worst.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

First off I just want to thank everyone for replying. It means a lot to me to know other people feel how I do or at least understand. My grandfather died from liver cancer due to drinking and my father was in prison for 12 years of my life due to DUI and repeated DUI charges. I know alcoholism runs in my family but I still can't accept that I am one. I'm too young. What do I need to do?
Old 02-10-2014, 06:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi Roostercod,

My wife and I had to quit drinking, and we went to AA meetings for help and support. There is probably a group with a meeting soon near you.