Notices

How did I get here?

Old 02-07-2014, 12:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How did I get here?

I've been a drinker for years.

I never had any issues. No blackouts, no DUI's, no work issues - I always had it "under control."

I would drink 2-4 glasses of wine a night until the wine started disagreeing with me. Then I started drinking tequila - I could drink less of it and still get that nice buzz. I was drinking at home. With my kids in the house.

I wasn't "When a Man Loves a Woman" drunk - I would just get a little sleepy and put the kids to bed early.

Then sometime last year I had to switch from tequila to - I know you can guess - vodka. Not the cr@p vodka - the good stuff.

I was going through 2-3 bottles a week. Even switching up liquor stores so they wouldn't "get any ideas."

Then last Sunday night I drank like I always did but Monday morning I had the worst hangover. I run a busy medical practice and I can't blow off work because of a hangover. So I decided to stop drinking.

48 hrs later I was having dts, foggy, out of it, nauseous. It was a huge wakeup call.

I don't know if this means I'm an alcoholic, but it certainly means I have a problem. I don't want to go to AA: 1) its a small town 2) the nearest AA meeting I could find is 30 miles away 3) I'm not Christian, and I feel a little uncomfortable about my perception of AA.

So I'm here. Every day since I stopped drinking I've been here. I'm glad there is someplace I can go when I'm feeling shakey and need to get refocused.

So, to make a long story short - HI!
Old 02-07-2014, 12:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have had an account here for few months. I am finally making a post.

Things need to change
Old 02-07-2014, 12:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
30yrdrunk

LL,

You don't need alcohol in your life. There are no benefits to continuing a habit that does nothing for you.

TC
Old 02-07-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome. Glad you decided to post and tell us a little bit about yourself.

Only you know whether you have a problem with alcohol or not. Getting the DT's indicates, to me, you are at the very least, alcohol dependent.

I recovered using Rational Recovery/AVRT. You can find out more about it (and other secular approaches) in our secular forum Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information or googling it.

There is also a secular AA forum here.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
instant

Alcohol is an addictive substance - the longer you go on the worse it gets.

I have stayed sober over 2.5 years just coming to SR everyday- and mixing with the wonderful people with lots of wisdom here. I did read the Big Book learn some SMART tools and read about AVRT / rational recovery. I joined the daily support thread here for the month (june 2011). I also posted daily on the Gratitude thread.

All these things and having my wife and sisters support helped me to get where I am.

I do think however that I was in a desperate place and I had tried all I had myself and I didn't wnat to go on like that anymore- I could see where it was going- I was finally ready
Old 02-07-2014, 01:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR loulou.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome LouLou (and Barbasol)

I know you'll both find support and encouragement here

D
Old 02-07-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to both our newcomers. This is a very friendly supportive site you've come to. I'm glad you are here.