Notices

Becoming dependent on this forum

Old 02-07-2014, 11:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Becoming dependent on this forum

This feels like a good thing.

I realised a few minutes ago that when my Devil comes to try fool me to go get a beer the first thought is going to be this forum and, "Ah, man, if you go get a beer, even one beer, then you cant say that you have been 7+ days without drinking. You wont feel union with the others in here sticking it out. You need to be another example like the others that it can be done and its not so hard. Its as hard as not going and getting another beer. Drink some water man, pace up and down, drink more water, drink so much water fill your stomach. Dont go get that beer man. You have a record to set to yourself. YOUrself. YOU. Not this devil in there lying to you. He is not your friend. Ignore these thoughts, they are not you."
Old 02-07-2014, 11:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The addictive voice in our heads lies, cheats, and steals. It's very conniving - don't be fooled! Stay strong! 7+ days is great.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on the +7 days
Old 02-07-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on 7 days. That is great, keep going and give yourself enough time to see how things change for the good.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 7 days sober!
Old 02-07-2014, 11:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudging the Road

Congrats on the 7+ days. One day at a time and they add up!

Yeah, I don't think being dependent on SR is a bad thing, either!
Old 02-07-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sobercatholic View Post

I think I saw your post in another forum. I agree that day counting is not wise strategy.

Ok I have gotten to 7 days now, its not about counting anymore.

Did I count the days since I last shouted at someone? I have shouted at people in my life before. But do I remember how many days since I did? No.
And yet obviously I stopped shouting at people as it has been so long I cant remember which of them nor when was it.
So is same about drinking.

Yes indeed how good a cheater the addictive channels in the brain are about talking the rest of you to go along with it.
And I dont even feel that good drinking. In the end I am drinking so that I can go to sleep via the blackout method.
Trying to remember back into the actual experience of the drinking voyage which lasts about 6 hours in my case before I pass out asleep, I recal that I am feeling miserable during it, psychotic, drippy, confused, fearful, enraged, passionate, angry and screaming in youtube comments about the outrageous iniquities.....basically OUT OF CONTROL.

I would be in the middle of a one month old business relationship with an engineer I am contracting over Webchat/Odesk channels and then suddenly in a drunken binge decide to mention the war in syria and feel like its relevant.
I suffer for it later when I am fielding through the old chat history for keywords to re-read some information and get annoyed that I have fluttered up this business-intellegence data with dribbling rants and chats off-topic.

I love Odesk with borrowing engineers from any field because the relationships are so to-the-point and "Lets get to business"./
A typical relationship would start in a Skype or other chat with a Hi, Hi, and then straight into talking about the engineering problem.
No but I get drunk and at the time of being drunk feel as though its all appropriate. Its not, and even I suffer for it inadvertantly when I am trying to find a URL or file location from going back into the SKype chat and using CRTL F to try hunt the location via key-words and then its all messed up with my drivling drunkness - Remember I am paying the engineer hourly, he is not going to complain about us getting back to business. I am paying him to listen to me being a drunk all of a sudden.

I mean, WTF is that? Or go to parties and everyone gets drunk. What happens? You rub up the ass of the wife of someone else? Someones wife rubs up the ass of you? You fall over on the way home and scratch your face?
You what? Had a real good time? That was a night of bearlairiness? Yeh might have been when you were at college, but you never wanted to grow up did you? You want to be back in O-Week at Uni where in that one week it was totally normal to be raucously drunk, adjective drunk, and all would be forgiven and laughed about between all the participants the next week.
You thought that that was the endless O-week didn't you? You only studied when you did and tried to pass exams because you could tell anyone anywhere that "I am a student". That was your excuse for being at the longest O-week in the history of your country right? One day you were 38 and it really hit you didn't it? I mean, you woke up and the sun was there, a beam through the crack in the fence then through your window, you could see the dust in the beam in your room, the dust. It was travelling at the speed of light.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

beer laryness
Dont Mug Yourself
Don't Mug Yourself - The Streets - YouTube
Old 02-07-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
instant

The light became my higher power. When I struggled with obsessional thinking, urges etc I turned my attention to shadows and reflections from the things around me. I started to do it when I was feeling good as well to keep me distracted "from my alcohol situation".

Once I started over time I became deeply grateful for light (I know it sounds ridiculous) and it really carried me though.

It started when I noticed reflections of light off the water in the shower- and whilst I was feeling better physically getting by without alcohol was not easy for me

Ultimately a new world started to open up for me- it was the same but very different - a new adventure, and way of being had begun
Old 02-07-2014, 01:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

And screaming at people on youtube comments about the outrageous iniquities. What a hypocrit. Oh, like I am going to be of benefit leglessly and brainlessly drunk?

And the opportunist you lost, ones of which nobody told. Could see you were a drunk, maybe not today but generally can read the face. Like you are walking down the street just after having a shave and a shower and in clean clothes free of smoke and some stranger on the corner in the middle of the city asks you if you have got a light. And you know what? Yes you do. He knows it and so do you. Can't hide it buddy. Can hide it in your mind. Tell you what, you are such a good denialist, how about deny you need beer?
Old 02-08-2014, 12:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sobercatholic View Post

This! Swapping an addiction to booze to an "addiction" to SR is a big step up.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Alcohol Free Member

I live for today, plan for tomorrow and remember yesterday. My long term plans having nothing to do with alcohol, I refuse to have my life, dictated by a drug.