Notices

I know I'm an alcoholic and I don't want to stop

Old 02-06-2014, 06:24 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeelingGreat View Post
Alcoholism is lack of control almost by definition. So if you want to take some control back in your life, sobriety will provide that. Lots of alcoholics started drinking because of social shyness; it certainly helped me that way. But it's easy to start drinking too much and that's bad for your mental and physical health.
If you know you have a problem with alcohol, sobriety will help you build self esteem and confidence.
At your age it's common for friends to make a joke out of someone drinking too much, so if you try to stop don't count on a lot of support from them. There are other support groups around like AA; why not start by talking to your doctor?
I agree fully.....if you're an active using alcoholic....you've already lost control. You cannot 'control' alcoholism. There is no such thing as a "functional" alcoholic.....functionality is a stage of alcoholism. Until it progresses into something much worse. Don't lie to yourself and think its ok because you haven't had any DUI's....or health problems...or really any consequences at all. We ALL had a point in our addiction where we could say that. Its not like there was some board meeting somewhere for me where a bunch of people in suits decided I was an alcoholic and issued me my legal record....health problems....and an alley to live in. I had to work at that stuff. Of course you haven't had any real consequences YET....YET. You've only drank alcoholically for a year and are only 19 yrs old. But don't fool yourself...all that bad stuff WILL ABSOLUTELY happen to you.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:28 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by kathrynkathrynk View Post
I just don't know how to learn to like myself sober.
You'll never learn if you're drunk.

If you're sober, then change is possibe.
When change is possible, hope is reasonable.

You. Can. Do. This.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:33 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

We all had to start in a place of confusion too in our own way, so your in good company. Changing our behaviours takes its measure of us on so many levels. The confusion does give way to new experiences, ideas, and solutions and in this we can become confident we are doing right for ourselves. Therapy really helped me reach my goals in life while at the same time giving me a renewed perspective on me from my new awareness. I'm glad to hear you find yourself heard in your thread. I hope you continue to post and continue to come to better clarity on your present important challenges.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:21 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I've decided to go a week without drinking..to see if I can do at least that. I have a friend who is trying to stop smoking so we're trying to do this together. I think it's going to help. So far its been two days. Im trying to convince myself not to let myself have even one glass. Its scary how hard it is.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:25 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

good for you kathryn - I think that's a step in the right direction

D
Old 02-07-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

You've made a good choice, Kathryn.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

That's good news... good for you...I hope you and your friend have luck. You will be surprised how good you feel in a weeks time!!
Old 02-07-2014, 02:54 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Kathryn...I am five plus months sober. I had tons of self hate from things done to me. But am learned how this affected me and alcohol and drugs were a few of many coping mechanisms. I am guessing you can control more than you can imagine. However, to start he process you need to get sober because none of it will sink in when your active. You will probably find it's all tied together, it was for me. But that takes some time. Figure out a program. You not alone and many of us have been through exactly what your going through or very similar situations.

So read, post, questions and keep at it. Your so young and deserve to spend your years happy. Happiness is not at the bottom of the bottle - I share from experience.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:50 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. A week is a good start but that's barely out of the detox stage. Why not give it a month to really start to see the positive changes living sober can bring.

I hope the support you find here can help you stop drinking for good. Sober really is better.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kathrynkathrynk View Post
I've decided to go a week without drinking..to see if I can do at least that. I have a friend who is trying to stop smoking so we're trying to do this together. I think it's going to help. So far its been two days. Im trying to convince myself not to let myself have even one glass. Its scary how hard it is.
You say you don't like yourself very much.

Think how proud you will be to beat addiction, instead of the self loathing of falling back into it.

You CAN do it. People do all the time.

You literally have so much time ahead of you, and the things that you have survived can make you stronger in time, if you treat yourself well.

Im rooting for ya.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:43 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Glad you came here! I was bulimic from age 15-22. I managed to overcome that with support from bulimiahelp.org. It's a community much like this one but for eating disorders. They sell something but I didn't buy it. The support from other members was enough. I also highly recommend you get the book "Feeding the Hungry Heart" by Geneen Roth. She has other good books too. "Why Weight" is a workbook you can do on your own that really helps. Posting on here or just reading has been helpful to me in moments I want to drink.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:49 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Welcome