Notices

Signs of Spirit....

Old 02-04-2014, 06:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Signs of Spirit....

A couple of years ago I was off on an upcoming trip for work that was going to represent a potential challenge to my sobriety; travel, free booze, isolation, "no one will know" syndrome.....

I went to a meeting before that trip and expressed my concerns and an old timer there - a real quiet guy - approached me after the meeting and said "you can do it. I did something similar in my early sobriety.... I'll be right there with ya".

I haven't seen that guy since I've been back around the tables but he was always a really powerful presence for me.

Today, I have to leave on another work trip with similar potential threats to sobriety. I was not feeling like going to the meeting this morning and almost skipped it, but something in me said "go... you should go".

When I got there, down the end of the tables sat that guy... for the first time since I've been back.... like a small Sign of Spirit, showing me the Way.

It was Gratitude Tuesday and I'm grateful I went to that meeting, grateful to be sober, grateful for 38 days, grateful for that guy and grateful for Spirit and this place and all of you.

Happy Tuesday All

Old 02-04-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Freeowl, I love that story - thanks for sharing. Congrats on 38 days!
Old 02-04-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That is an incredible story and since I've been going to AA I've heard some similar things. It is very interesting.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Freelowl.... It's great to see you have your mind and heart open enough to allow signs. I sometimes find myself running blind when I want a drink. But not you. Good job!

Travel safe.

Ken
Old 02-04-2014, 10:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Could be a case of what Carl Jung called synchronicity, events ordered by meaning rather than causality. My experience is that these things tend to happen prior to periods of increased or higher order change.

Just my opinion, but you might want to consider this person as a sponsor.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post
Could be a case of what Carl Jung called synchronicity, events ordered by meaning rather than causality. My experience is that these things tend to happen prior to periods of increased or higher order change.

Just my opinion, but you might want to consider this person as a sponsor.
Funnily enough.... I have already been considering him as a sponsor, and mentioned to my current, temporary sponsor that I felt drawn to him as a sponsor.

I agree. My current one is working me through the first four steps... I may approach this guy and ask if he'd be willing to be my sponsor from there.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

And another Sign of Spirit!!

I got to the airport and discovered that there was no plane for the flight!!! They were estimating having a departure well after my connection overseas and would not be able to get me there until at least Thursday afternoon.....

so.... TRIP CANCELLED!!!!

Instead of trying to sleep in a crappy crampy airplane seat tonight, I had a lovely dinner with my lady and will be sleeping soundly beside her in a comfy bed.

All week long I've been trying to focus on the good parts of this trip while also acknowledging that I really just did not want to go.

Chalk one up for Higher Power.

GRATEFUL!!!
Old 02-04-2014, 06:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I LOVE that you can find the signs!!