Notices

It's time to stop

Old 02-02-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's time to stop

Hi there,

I have come to the conclusion that I need to stop drinking. It's very difficult for me to do this, as I'm currently working abroad in a Spanish city where there is literally NOTHING to do. When I finish work on Fridays I just go on a mad mission, and spend all of Sunday in bed feeling sorry for myself. My colleagues do the same, but they all seem to be able to know when and how to stop drinking. I can't unfortunately, I keep going and going until I collapse.

I don't touch a drop during the week, but all weekend I go crazy, and in recent weeks I've been having blackouts and have been suffering greatly with paranoia and anxiety. I want to feel fresh, lose weight and not spend half of the week worrying about who I may have offended over the weekend. I thought that if I posted this onto a forum like this I would have the support of people in a similar situation. I think the hardest part will be trying to find things to do, and the people I talk to about it here all drink, so all weekend they'll be somewhere drinking.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm going to assume you are fluent in Spanish or you wouldn't be living there. Can you find a place to volunteer at? Do they have soup kitchens or animal shelters? Getting outside of your own head can do a world of good. It also gives back to the community and makes us grateful for our blessings.

It is possible to stop drinking for good. I did it over four years ago and only wish I'd done it sooner.

You're among friends here. Any time of day or night there's always someone here.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-02-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome stuckabroad

I've never been to spain but I'm willing to bet there's things to do that don't involve alcohol

When I quit I had no idea how sober people had fun either - but I learned

There must be interests you have or things you want to do or see?

D
Old 02-02-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you very much kind people.

No I don't speak fluent Spanish, I can only speak a little. Where I live is quite remote, and I am unable to travel anywhere at the moment as I have a contract with a flat, and I should honour my working contract. I would love to head back to Britain, but I am effectively stuck here now until the Summer. It's going to be difficult, but I have to stop drinking.

It all started around ten years ago. I used to get absolutely paralytic several nights a week. I had managed to calm it down, but then being here has made me revert back to this state.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome stuckabroad! You found a friendly & helpful place. We all understand how you feel.

I reached that point too - the fun that drinking once was had ended. All it brought me in the end was misery - and as you said - terrible anxiety. It was exhausting to keep doing it - to try and control the amounts I drank - it was time to let it go and reach out for a new way of life. You can do it.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all for making me feel welcome.

I hope that in time I'll be able to provide the same support for others, as you have shown me.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm sorry you're stuck there for a while longer. I hope coming here can give you the support you need to stop drinking.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

You are always welcome to hang out here when you're looking for support.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey StuckAbroad, welcome to SR! I just joined recently and come here to read and remind myself I don't have to drink. It has helped!
Old 02-02-2014, 06:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I agree with stay strong. I come here when I feel the urge & read about everyone's journeys. It's so good to know we are not alone - I always felt so alone in my battle. It feels so good to come to a community where everyone has been there done that or at least cares enough to be involved! I think I have had like 25 cravings in the last 1hr! It's that typical time of day for me right now. I'll read some more me thinks
Old 02-02-2014, 07:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I actually had my last drink in Spain. There is a hard drinking culture over there (mostly Brits but I cracked it. There is lots to do there if you look and Spanish people are nice. Do you speak the language? if so, hang out with the Spanish, they don't all get pie eyed each evening. Or if not, how about Spanish classes? That's what I did. Good luck xxxxx
Old 02-02-2014, 07:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

KateL I love Spain too. I drank a fair amount of sangria there lol. Some of it was nice but some wasnt so nice. Such a beautiful country. I really hope to get back there
Old 02-03-2014, 02:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

there's nothing to do? you want to feel fresh? You want to lose weight?

Instead of going on drinking sprees all weekend... go running.

Something to do...

You'll feel super fresh...

You'll lose weight...

You don't have to keep this cycle up!