Notices

Peoples opinions if you giving up drinking

Old 01-29-2014, 08:19 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Well, I think you are inspiring. 125 days is incredible. Congratulations! You should be proud. I look forward to getting there too.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:03 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

The nicest compliment I received was from a friend who told me that she had no idea how amazing I really was underneath all that alcohol and now that it's gone she can't imagine why I would ever want to go back to covering up all my amazingness with alcohol.

Now she loved me as a drunk and thought I was pretty okay anyway but it caught me off guard a little to hear someone who already thought the world of me tell me I always was. It was just hidden.

I'm not special. I think it that's what alcohol does to us. Bury and hide all the good we already possess. How deep it's buried is probably as individual as we are but it's there.

So what I searched for all my life I already had.

Everyone is amazing.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:06 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Enjoy it ExWinoMum. Two people have told me in the last fortnight how amazing I look and I haven't argued with them even though I'm no Beyonce. Anyway at my age "amazing" means I look younger than I used to.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:23 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

There is literally nobody that (to my knowledge) would consider me an alcoholic outside of SR. Even my fiance, while obviously knowing that I have drank way too much in the past, doesn't necessarily know I quit drinking because of the fact that I am addicted to alcohol. I have told her that I no longer enjoy drinking, and that alcohol is causing devastation to many people close to me (this is true), and these facts have just turned me off drinking. She doesn't realize it is because I can't control it if I were to start again. Which doesn't really matter, because the end game is the same - I don't drink.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:11 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

To be able to abstain from doing something which you have become addicted to do and for which your mind and body have become dependent on doing is difficult indeed. The wonder of it is that it can be done at all. And what statistics there are (none are very reliable because folks aren't likely to admit much about what they are doing) seem to indicate that the success rate is relatively low. So your success so far is amazing. Keep up the good work. It's the best thing you've ever done for yourself.

W.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:56 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thanks again everyone! Yes I am very happy to be sober. My life is now my own.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:09 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

What Are Peoples Opinions if you Give up Drinking?

Hello guys
My friends are beating down on me because my 60th birthday is coming up on Saturday. Working with cops is a hassle because all of them know that I have not had a drink in a few years. I was the champagne girl. I ate,slept and breathed champagne. I also loved white zinfandel. During a birthday, you would think that these hard core drinkers would understand that people who have had issues with drinking do not drop their sobriety just because its their 60th birthday. Trust me, I started to tell them all off, but I could not after they gave me a weekend stay at a 5 star hotel as a gift.
I have been stressing about what to do with them all once they get to the hotel. Any suggestions would be helpful