Notices

Suddenly alcohol is everywhere!

Old 01-25-2014, 04:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Suddenly alcohol is everywhere!

Someone posted a question on facebook about where to get a good Long Island Iced Tea. There's ads about the best mixer sodas. Of course there are many many facebook statuses about alcohol. Every show I watch on TV has someone drinking in it at one point. I'm sure this is just because I'm now trying to avoid it, but it's crazy how intwined into society alcohol really is. Guess I should just stay away from Internet and TV.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If it helps, it's usually not real alcohol on TV shows.

That probably doesn't help, but I always think of Norm from Cheers. I saw an interview with the actor (George something, I think) a few years ago and he was talking about how revolting the fake beer was that he had to drink on the show. Anyway, they may be drinking it, but they're not enjoying it.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't think the alcohol you're seeing on TV and online got there by mistake. On the contrary, someone somewhere paid for it. Big Money wants you to see it and then go buy some for yourself. And Big Money doesn't care less if it's bad for you.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OliveDog View Post
If it helps, it's usually not real alcohol on TV shows.

That probably doesn't help, but I always think of Norm from Cheers. I saw an interview with the actor (George something, I think) a few years ago and he was talking about how revolting the fake beer was that he had to drink on the show. Anyway, they may be drinking it, but they're not enjoying it.
Great point! So much of the culture of alcohol is illusion. Danica, I think first quitting gets a lot of us kind of over-sensitized to the presence of alcohol in our lives. But if you start looking for all the places where alcohol isn't, and all of the people who don't drink, or don't drink to excess, it's equally astounding.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

When my mind is focused on alcohol, that's all I think about. If I focus on all the positive things I still want to do in my life, that's all I think about.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You're only noticing it because you've given it up. Once you have more sober time you won't notice it as much cause you won't be constantly thinking about it.