Notices

Did you rotate stores?

Old 01-24-2014, 05:29 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I never rotated stores, I went to what was the easiest on the way home. It was almost like admitting to at least someone I had a drinking problem. On the odd occasion I just needed to buy gas, they would ask, "no beer tonight?" and my answer was always no, I stopped drinking.... lies I jsut needed to go to the grocery store which sold beer too so I would get it there.

so sad... a friend of mine who drank a lot told me once he realized he hadn't left the house in a few days other than work, other than to buy beer and the attendant was his most social interaction.

yeah, it needs to be on the "you might be an alcoholic if..." test... jeebus what alcohol has done to me
Old 01-24-2014, 05:44 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I recently stopped for fuel where I often bought wine, and was so relieved I didn't need to do that anymore…..topped off my tank and away I go!
Old 01-24-2014, 05:48 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

yes, I did. And was VERY excited when I discovered a little Liquor store tucked away nearby. I had previously missed it.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:53 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

See a pattern here? I too rotated stores - especially if I ran out of morning supply, napped it off, and was ready for round 2. I also went to great lengths to dispose of the evidence. Hiding empties in my trunk and driving around to dumpsters to ditch them. The shame in that alone is enough to make me cringe at the memory, and remind me to stay resolute in my sobriety. I feel solid now, but know better than to let my guard down.

Thanks for the reminder of where I came from and where I will never let myself go again. I need that reality check once in a while
Old 01-24-2014, 06:01 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I was at the counter in a liquor store one time with a 6-pack of beer and a 1.75L bottle of whiskey when my dad walked in. I had previously talked to him somewhat drunk about not wanting to drink so much, and only drank beer in front of him after that talk. As if to say, "I only drink beer now. See, I'm a normal drinker."

As soon as he walked in, I told the attendant, "I don't want the whiskey." I paid for the beer, left the whiskey at the counter, nodded at my dad, and walked out.

Stopped at a different liquor store and bought whiskey. For shame.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
International Man of Mystery

I had this one gas station I went to so often they knew me by name and would offer me free coffee and food because I was a 'good customer'. I probably helped keep that place in business.

As for cans? I'd store them until no one was home so I could take them out (to someone elses trash can) so then wouldn't see how many empties I had.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

<<<--------- BIG (former) store rotator!

now i go to any store i want, as often as i want, head held high. don't care who sees me buy my broccoli!!! ;-)
Old 01-24-2014, 06:59 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I knew every store near where I lived. On Monday, it would be this store, on Tuesday, another one, and so on. I would find other stores to add on to those in case I embarrassed myself at one and have to take a break from that one so they would forget the last time I was there. While driving to work or elsewhere, I would find other places to buy liguor to expand my choices. Where I drove depended on how drunk I was, not wanting a DUI. I would go to the same store several times in a row because they were close to where I live even though I knew I made a fool of myself before. Was embarrassed by their looks but all I cared about was that I walked out with the booze. They were the idiots, not me. I got what I wanted. The "circuit" I had was big. The only people that might of known I had a problem were the people that were in stores close to me, since I visited them more often due to trying to avoid a DUI. Being an alcoholic takes a lot of work. it's not easy. You have to consider what your plans
are for each day and how to do them before you get wasted. If you work or have appointments, you have to clean up at least two days so you don't smell like alcohol. Everything is timed. If you don't stick to this schedule and drink more than you planed, then you have to come up with excuses to give you more time to sober up. A lot of thought has to come into play if you are a drunk. it's not easy. Being a responsible drunk requires a lot of work. It's like any job; you make plans and do everything you can to succeed at it. But like any high stress job, the result is a short life, and the job of being a drunk is a high stress job. Being sober is a high stress job. There's no doubt about it. The difference is that the stress decreases the more I try.

areeach dayand
Old 01-24-2014, 07:10 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Mikie9 View Post
yeah, it needs to be on the "you might be an alcoholic if..." test... jeebus what alcohol has done to me
Among the DSM-IV criteria for alcohol dependence: "A great deal of time spent in activities necessary to obtain, to use, or to recover from the effects of drinking."
Old 01-24-2014, 07:14 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
Yes I did. I attempted to control my drinking by buying a pint because I knew whatever I bought I would drink. Can't go to the same store everyday for a pint they might think I'm an alcoholic or something.
Thats exactly what i did! But a pint would somehow never be enough. So off id go driving tipsy to a different liquor store for more, but instead of a pint id get a fifth. Smh. Yes, yes... liquor stores in rotation. I couldnt keep liquor in the house. Only long enough to drink it.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:27 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
Among the DSM-IV criteria for alcohol dependence: "A great deal of time spent in activities necessary to obtain, to use, or to recover from the effects of drinking."
I feel the "need to hide purchases from the vendors" should be added. doing what you gotta do to get your buzz is one thing, feeling bad about the vendors knowing you drink every night is another.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:32 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd put shame in the 'or to recover from' part tho - my shame guilt and self hatred always lasted a lot longer than any buzz

D
Old 01-24-2014, 07:38 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
High Power Rifle Addict

I never cared.

Morning before leaving house: 1/2 pint vodka
Drive to work, stop at same Chevron: Tall Boy Heineken
Lunch most days: vodka/cran at bar down street from work
Before leaving work: 3-6 heinekens from personal fridge
Way home: Six pack of high gravity craft beer from liquor store plus vodka for next morning

Weekends: Add a bottle of wine to above

Every day, same faces, same stores, no shame but what I turned inward.

I could care less for my life.

I cannot, will not go back to that life.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:52 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I thought I was the only one that went to different places to buy alcohol. The only places I avoided were joints that were way overpriced...

One time I told myself I was going to drink a six pack and that's it. I went through a six pack in like 2 hours so my brain told me to get another six pack or think, gee I should have just bought a 12 pack oh well. So I checked the clock and it was like 15 minutes before 2AM right before the time where you can't buy alcohol. I waltz into the 24hr pharmacy and try and buy this six pack. The cashier guy was like, uhhhh I'm not sure if I'm going to sell this to you, and I look at the clock and get really upset. I tell the guy, "hey man! It's like 3 minutes till 2AM! What the F dude!?!" Finally he's like, oh it's your lucky day, it went through!

Ever since then, I've felt really ashamed the way I reacted to that person. I'm so glad I don't do anything like that anymore. Way too embarrassing!
Old 01-24-2014, 08:16 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I rotated stores. Or if it was the grocery store I rotated cashiers, always trying to avoid those not old enough to sell liquor and would call out "I need a scan" when alcohol came through the line. Then there was the plotting as to what store sold liquor when on Sundays. That was when the real planning went on...not running out on Saturday night so that I would have some left on Sunday morning. I am so grateful that I don't have to do that dance anymore. That I CHOOSE not to do that dance anymore.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:41 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I totally rotated stores and I thought I was the only one! Lol, I had 4 within a 5 minute drive of my house and I would plan my outings to make sure that none of them suspected my alcoholism. Especially if I was buying a pint of hard liquor, I would never buy from the same store more than once a week because I didn't want them to think I had a problem. Now that I think back it was so transparent, but I thought I was brilliant at the time.

And no, I don't miss any of that conniving at ALL.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:57 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Yeah I had four that I rotated, I had a clever little plan where they weren't rotated evenly, as if that would make a difference to the shop assistants! I also rotated how I paid -- cash or card -- so it didn't show up on my account too regularly. Pathetic.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:19 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Originally Posted by Cheydinhal View Post
I totally rotated stores and I thought I was the only one! Lol
Absolutely! If felt like I hit the lowest of low, and despised myself back then.

I did rotate stores. I had about 5-6 supermarkets on my list. I used to buy one bottle of wine promising myself that I would drink just a half of it. Then when this one was polished off, I spent somewhat about an hour contemplating should I go and get another one. Finally I managed to come up with some "reasoning" like "Ok, It would be the last time I do it". Then I'd take a long walk to another store, terrified to step in the elevator and meet some of my neighbors, and flare booze smell at them. If I did meet someone I used to just nod instead of saying "Hi" - I was ashamed.

Then I there was another line of shame in the queue...

Glad it's over now.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:25 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I never rotated stores. I didn't care if the clerk was the same one who I saw in the AM. Just give me my booze that is all I cared about! And none of the clerks ever said anything negative to me either. In fact they were always nice and polite and always said hi to me that is how much I was in there.

I think my problem was that I didn't think I was in the same classification as the "other" drunks that came in, that is why I had no shame.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:16 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Oh yes & they were always very helpful. If they didn't have something I asked for you can bet they did the next time I came in. Our local bar brought in a product specially for me cause I'm just so freaking SPECIAL! Yeah, I'm not gonna miss this!!