Notices

How do I StOP LyING!

Old 01-19-2014, 04:40 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I might lie if someone says, 'do you think I look awful' when they do a bit and say, 'no. of course not.' But generally it is easier to be truthful about the mpoortant things when you are sober x
Old 01-19-2014, 04:55 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm reminded of a quote from King Rinkitink, from Frank Baum's "Oz" books:

"The way to be good, is . . keek eeek! .. not to be bad!"

Sage advice, that. You stop lying by stopping telling lies. Or, every time you feel a lie coming on, blurt out the truth instead, and then it's probably too late to spin yarn.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:08 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I've been very secretive about many areas of my life and issues until a really debilitating major depressive episode. Not really lying much when I did say things, much more hiding a lot and holding a lot of myself back from others. However bad depression was, I'm actually kinda grateful for the experience because it seriously broke my secrecy and not being able to show vulnerability. It did because I had no other choice, I was unable to function for a while and had to admit my problems to others because they were obvious. The guilt and shame I constantly felt were unbearable. But to my greatest surprise, people came to me with genuine efforts to help, and it did work... that was probably the first time I accepted help from others in my life (it was in the spring of last year). This experience is also a main reason why I'm now able to embrace support here on SR. So for me it wasn't lying per se... much more a very general issue with showing vulnerability, and then connecting with others through it. I really feel this has taken my relationships to another level, very happy about this one.