Notices

What's next?

Old 01-16-2014, 06:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy What's next?

Just a short rant. I have been struggling with PAWS lately. The largest symptom which is anxiety. It doesn't feel like regular anxiety. It feels kind of like a chemical anxiety where the nerves in my brain are subtly erupting sending waves of freaky discomfort everywhere in my body. But nothing I can pinpoint. I didn't know much of anything about PAWS until I noticed that after the initial withdrawals I am still in fact physically struggling.
That being said I have been reading up on how to help myself with the PAWS which is now my current state of being. Caffeine and sugar are especially bad. Caffeine revs up the anxiety and sugar will eventually make you crash after it wears off.
Ok I am grateful for my sobriety and all but what else? Pretty soon I will be left with just camomile tea/water, veggies... and veggies... I am just an addict to everything. I am reading everything I can get my hands on as far as health is concerned and everywhere I reach in my kitchen... it's like... uh no... and uh... not that either... and grrrrrrrr. ok soda water with lemon it is. I'm a bit frustrated to be honest. I have no intention of drinking or anything... but what is delicious and NOT addictive?
Old 01-16-2014, 06:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey cusper - early recovery is pretty rough - but it doesn't stay like this...it gets better.
If it didn't not many of us could stand it.

Eat & drink responsibly for sure but I wouldn't try cutting out too many things at once - our brains are liable to process any kind of craving as a drink craving....

D
Old 01-16-2014, 06:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Here's a few

Homemade soups of all kinds! Real comfort food

Smoothies with lots of fresh fruit and maybe some yogurt and honey

Grilled cheese on whole grain bread or even a cheese burger...are burgers addictive???

Fish and brown rice with veggies...

As you stay sober longer some caffeine should be OK. I had TERRIBLE anxiety when I was drinking and didn't touch coffee. Now I can have up to 2cups of coffee per day and feel fine but everybody's different...

It will get easier.

Last edited by sillysuzanfree; 01-16-2014 at 06:52 PM. Reason: booboo
Old 01-16-2014, 06:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Cusper, I am soooo with you there! I've been downing Soda water and tea like nobody's business. The first month I shoved sugar in my face like it was going out of style. I've always loved to cook and now that I have more time on my hands, I've been trying to cook different things - things I like that make me feel good and healthy. I'm not sure if you're just talking drink or food, as well. Maybe try a different flavor in your soda water - some grapefruit or orange juice. The other day I made some tea and added mulling spices, it's been so cold here...that warmed me right up. From a food perspective, try veggies with whole grains, beans or lean proteins, see how it makes you feel. If you get the afternoon munchies, try some nuts or an apple with almond or peanut butter. Not everything is bad for you or addicting and I bet you'll find some things make you feel better than others.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm a terrible cook so can't give suggestions on that, but agree not to cut out too many things at once. Go easy on yourself.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the suggestions! Susan, I've been doing raspberry/banana smoothies and some homemade sweet potato curry soups which are really good. I loved burgers (which had addictive properties..in my opinion!) but I gave up meat before smoking... i Reflection- just a question, how much soda water are you drinking? I can tell you I feel like I've been doing the same things. The first month I actually gained weight because I was a new chocolate addict instead of alcohol. Now I am basically drinking cases of soda water. Ok as I type this I am realizing that I think I am just a consumption junkie in general. Mulling spices sounds enticing, I've never had those before. Is that something I could ask for at a grocery store... or is that a health food option?