Notices

Enough is enough

Old 01-08-2014, 03:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Enough is enough

The last 12 Months or so has been a real struggle for me. This is my 1st day sober after another New Year binge. I made an appointment for the Doctors, and going to try AA again. I feel it's my only hope. I am going to lose everything at this rate. Depression is getting to me too. Embarassing having to apologise to people for my drinking. I cannot seem to last more than 10 days without binging. I will do my best to stick around more often.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Kevin

D
Old 01-08-2014, 03:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Kevin, I think talking to your doctor is a great first step, and don't be afraid to tell him/her the full truth, even if you lapse. It's hard to be honest about your drinking, but it's worth it. SR was a lot of help for me in maintaining sobriety.
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee, You have a lot of posts, I wish it was me.
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome Back!

Originally Posted by Kevin78 View Post
I cannot seem to last more than 10 days without binging.
What do you think you'll do during the next 10 days that will enable you to be sober longer this time? Seems like it should be something different than last time.

Best of Luck on Your Journey!
Old 01-08-2014, 04:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I did lose everything. Still didn't stop me from drinking for another fifteen years.
Sounds like you're doing all the right things. Wish I would have had your sense to seek help earlier and save all the misery.
I relapsed hundreds of times. Just remember you never have to go through the misery, anxiety and loss of everything if you don't take that first drink.

I'm wishing you the best.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Hi Kevin. Good luck and don't give up x
Old 01-08-2014, 04:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome and good luck
Old 01-08-2014, 05:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome back. I needed to surrender to the fact that I could not drink in safety and needed to immerse myself in the program as my way never worked. It works IF we work it!

BE WELL
Old 01-08-2014, 05:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome back Kevin! You can do this!! Keep posting!!
Old 01-08-2014, 05:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Glad you are back Kevin!
Try signing up for the 24 hour club and joining the January class here on the Newcomer's forum. They can both really be helpful getting through the first few weeks especially.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Welcome Back!

What do you think you'll do during the next 10 days that will enable you to be sober longer this time? Seems like it should be something different than last time.

Best of Luck on Your Journey!
I was in rehab a few years ago and managed to stay sober for over 2 years. I think back then I was too scared to relapse. I stopped going to AA after just a few meetings. My plan is to go and join a group this time, and be active on here. I will really need to plan this.

Originally Posted by Ghostlight1 View Post
I did lose everything. Still didn't stop me from drinking for another fifteen years.
Sounds like you're doing all the right things. Wish I would have had your sense to seek help earlier and save all the misery.
I relapsed hundreds of times. Just remember you never have to go through the misery, anxiety and loss of everything if you don't take that first drink.

Thanks. I am almost at rock bottom. I fear for my health and financial worries too. All to familiar.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome back Kevin.

Pleased you are going back to AA,I went for ages before I settled in,probably close to a year.I just knew I would drink again eventually if I stopped going in those early days.It is so sad that people don't give AA a proper chance before they say it isn't for them.

Wishing you well.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks Heath. I'm quite a quiet type of person sober, I found it hard to speak in front of a group. I plan to join a group. There are plenty in my area. Typical Scots lol
Old 01-08-2014, 09:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome back Kevin. Sometimes our choices are hard, but it sounds like you are on the right road. I talk to my Dr about everything. They have heard it all. Wishing you much success and glad you are with us.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kevin78 View Post
The last 12 Months or so has been a real struggle for me. This is my 1st day sober after another New Year binge. I made an appointment for the Doctors, and going to try AA again. I feel it's my only hope. I am going to lose everything at this rate. Depression is getting to me too. Embarassing having to apologise to people for my drinking. I cannot seem to last more than 10 days without binging. I will do my best to stick around more often.

Thanks for your post, Kevin. I think that alcoholism is directly related to depression.. it seems most people addicted to alcohol suffer from anxiety, depression, and mood issues. The good thing is, quitting alcohol usually sorts us out.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back. I'm glad you're giving it another go.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:38 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
SeaScape

Originally Posted by Ghostlight1 View Post
. Just remember you never have to go through the misery, anxiety and loss of everything if you don't take that first drink.

THANK YOU! this is why I come here everyday b.c words like these are helping me change my life!
Old 01-08-2014, 11:08 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

you can do it!!

I went almost 6 months sober in AA and was doing really well... then I decided "I'm ok, I can do this" and went back out. During the year or so that ensued - I was exactly where it sounds like you are; unable to go more than 10 days without some form of binge. Thankfully, I'm on Day 12 right now and I'm back in AA and I've found SR and I'm on a fantastic path.

For me; AA really does make a big difference and I know that the further from its support I wander, the less likely I am to honor my choice to live sober.

You. Can. Do. IT!!!!

Old 01-13-2014, 12:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Wee update. I managed to get to the Doctors today, He was asking about my drinking in general. He recommended I try AA again and also referred me to the local alcohol services in my area for additional help. He also noted I might possibly need bereavement counselling, Which can also happen through the same place. I still ain't managed AA yet, I plan to. My head seems to be in a more positive place just now. I need to give blood tomorrow which is my worry.