Notices

What does "Me Time" mean to you?

Old 01-07-2014, 11:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
p***enger

What does "Me Time" mean to you?

I've been advised for my mental health and sobriety's sake to take some "me time". (You know who you are, advisor-guru.)

Trouble is, I'm not sure what the term means. Having also been advised to ask for help when needed, I'm crowd-sourcing the phrase "me time". What's your idea of it?
Old 01-07-2014, 11:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Cool

What does "Me Time" mean..............?

That's really not so difficult to answer; in fact, it's quite simple. It's the time a person has to himself or herself, in which to do something for his or her own enjoyment.

(o:
Old 01-07-2014, 11:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
p***enger

Noelle, thanks, but can you give an example? Sorry if I'm obtuse. I used to fill my waking hours with drink and work, then just work.

BTW, if anyone wants to tell me exactly what people do on something called a "duvet day", feel free to throw that piece of information in, too.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For me, "me time" might involve watching some TV, reading a book or magazine, maybe a little cleaning then more TV or reading, doing something creative (I have a "smash book" -- kinda like informal scrapbooking). Playing some Candy Crush on the smartphone.

In summer, "me time" might consist of me going to the pool for several hours, alternately swimming and reading.

Other people might cook or take a long bath or write in a journal or garden or golf. For me, I don't really consider exercise really "me time" because that's WORK, but others might love a good workout for their "me time." Whatever you enjoy doing that helps to recharge your spiritual and emotional batteries.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I would think a "duvet day" would be just hiding under the covers all day. And that might be considered "me time" too.

In my opinion, "me time" is time spent trying to figure our what I need and want, and trying to get and do those things for a while. To some extent, what one does on "me time" is determined by economic situations. So, for example, "me time" might mean spending an afternoon at a spa getting a massage.

I could use some "me time" sitting on a beach on Maui right about now, but I'm just a tad short of miles on my Gold Credit Plan. I'll have to settle for some "me time" on the couch with the cat.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

I used to think "me time" meant sleeping all day, binge eating or other behaviours that hindered my mental health and contributed to alcohol relapses instead of helping my mental health and sobriety.

Now I spend my "me time" on things that nurture me, improve me and/or engage my brain in some way. Examples: taking a half-hour nap instead of sleeping the whole day, long bath, walking, pilates, playing card games on my computer, reading a play or novel, listening to classical music, just lying on my bed with my eyes closed to calmly reflect on where my life is at at the moment, online reading about recovery, mindfulness or any other subject I find interesting, dancing to the radio.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello my friend

For me it depends on how much time I have. For a couple of hours or half a day it means being totally alone, no interruptions where I would read, go for a walk or out for a coffee or even stay home and watch a DVD. Something to recharge. If I have a few days (ha I wish ) then I would go away alone for a few days to recharge and regain mental & physical balance.

It's whatever you need,whatever helps YOU feel better. Maybe try some different things?
Old 01-08-2014, 12:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have two "me" times. The first is my Monday BB meeting. I go to the same church for many of my meetings but the BB that attend is in a different church and it is all mine. This is where my core group of ladies are and I cherish the time I get to spend with them.

The other is Sunday. My day of rest and reflection. I do not plan anything on this day. I crochet and watch TV. It is my day to do what I wish.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

A lazy day or things like doing my hair, nails and a bit of self-pampering.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I would have to say your on Me-Time right now, as am I.
Looking and reading posts is a very good way for me to relax and enjoy myself in the mornings.

Also after work I love to come home, brew a pot of coffee and just sit in my game room and stare away thinking about how far I have came and how far I can go with "One Day At A Time"

Matt
Old 01-08-2014, 01:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Frankly I think most of us alcoholics need more 'other people time'. I am pretty fed up with the internal self obsession and absorption in my alcohol addiction and the life I led to maintain it.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

For me it's about balance. I find I can give so much to others, or in the pursuit of other things, that sometimes I just need some time off to replenish myself.

I literally do good things for myself. Ideally I feed my mind, my soul and my body.

That might be a hobby, or a walk, or a drive somewhere to a special spot, or a funny movie, or reading a good book, meditating, just a day doing nothing (akin to a duvet day I guess although I can't abide being in bed all day).

It's whatever I want to do, or think I need.

I literally had no concept of me time until a few years back - the fact that you don't seem to either could be telling, courage?

D
Old 01-08-2014, 01:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

At the moment me time for me is getting to meetings. I have two baby boys and it's quite hectic, a husband who works a lot and smokes pot. Getting out to a meeting is great. I also get to the gym and put the boys in the crèche. I would love to read books and watch movies though. That would be so cool.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

For me, it means mental freedom. Where I am at the wheel to choose how I am going to spend my time and energy rather than driven by some voice in my head or irrational demand.

It can mean me saying that today is NOT going to be vacuuming day, I'm in a cooking mood, so I cook a weeks worth of meals...or picking a film I want to see...not one I "ought" to see, or not say "you really should be reading a book instead".

I have rarely had the luxury or economics to have a spa day, or drop the kids with a sitter or run out and buy myself a new outfit. So...I found other ways to nurture ME...not reward myself. Because for me that takes me to crazy thinking. I usually ended up rewarding myself with something that either wasn't good for me, or made no sense...what other people might find a reward, but not really me.

Sometimes me time was doing something for my pets that I'd put off, or taking the kids to a different park, or to the zoo for the day rather than the usual schedule. Often it's just a change of scenery or listening to my favorite song or album on repeat.

To me, it's really giving myself permission to feel what I feel and act accordingly, in a nondestructive manner. Trust myself to know what is right for me, good for me and that the world won't end if I follow my own lead. That I deserve to enjoy my life and put my time and energy toward what fulfills me. And that doesn't have to be what others consider "purposeful" or rewarding or whatever. There are times me time is washing windows, and other times it's looking at funny cat videos on youtube. yesterday it was washing all the shelves in the fridge while I listened to an audio book. That was what I wanted to do. Period.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

'me time' is that essential time we take to nurture ourselves in our own ways absent expectations and presence of others.

It's that time we take to reflect, to be still, to exercise, to enjoy nature, to do something we love, to write, to read, to hike, to create...

Me time is different for everyone but the one thing in common is that when deprived of sufficient "me time" - nearly all humans suffer.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

'Me time' is a crucial element in my recovery. I had believed that I had to do everything for my husband and children before taking care of myself. That was a huge mistake. As Dee said, balance is important, and I now crave 'me time'. For me, it often involves searching for new books to read or listening to music, but it can be anything that brings peace to my heart.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Oh yes. My beloved "Me Time". An absolute imperative for an Introvert.

This for me would mean, time alone, in prayer and meditation, massage, journaling, shutting off the phone, logging into SR, spiritual seeking, learning about the human experience, cooking, working out, walking my dog in the woods, a long bike ride, a pedicure, coffee with my daughter, dining with DH, reading reading and more reading, candles, crystals, incense, oh the list could go on and on...

It basically the practice of self love and self nurturing.

However that translates to you.

And of utmost importance is Being cognizant of not feeling guilty or ashamed for not doing what society deems is appropriate for your success.

Listening to the gentle calling of your heart and moreso, doing things that fill your soul...

XO AO

PS- In my meditation this morning, I got the message that the 40 days and 40 nights that Jesus spent in the desert was to essentially "recharge". AKA - "Me Time" so that he could go forth and face what His life path was. Thank you for reinforcing that message for me with this thread.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:03 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
p***enger

Lots of great responses-- I had to learn how to use Multi-Quote

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
'me time' is that essential time we take to nurture ourselves in our own ways absent expectations and presence of others.
I've always thought that anything I did that didn't go to meet someone's expectations (even my own) was "goofing off." I do goof off sometimes, and I'm trying to goof off a bit more, but I always look at it as a guilty indulgence. Except SR, which several people mentioned.

Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
For me, it means mental freedom.
This I can't fathom. Where did you get that?

As for reading, reading is all screwed up for me, maybe due to drinking. I can't read much. But I'm trying. It took me 11 months to read one book last year. Anyone have the same experience?
Old 01-08-2014, 09:12 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
I've always thought that anything I did that didn't go to meet someone's expectations (even my own) was "goofing off."
But not drinking?
Old 01-08-2014, 09:38 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm sure by now you know/knew it is different for everyone... In early sobriety me time was meeting time ... I would walk or ride a bike to and from meetings so I could have my time..now I like building hotrods and workin on projects on my property ... I usually work alone and use it as a meditation time of sorts ... If not I can just sit on the porch and be content.