Notices

I failed - But I am not giving up!

Old 01-08-2014, 05:38 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Wishing you the best for today!

you can do this.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:45 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I just could not handle the shakes and sickness.

You need to see a Doctor. I've gone to an "Immediate Care" type place in the past, 2 hours in and out with a small amount of Valium to get me through the shakes and anxiety.

BTW, thanks for the reminder of how much the shakes suck. That will provide me with yet another reason why I won't drink today.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:21 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

OK. Here is the update.
The Dr said that I should not go cold turkey unless I go into inpatient care. I can't do that because of my job. I am still functioning there and have business trips, meetings, etc. I can't wait until I have a free week to quit. I need this to stop ASAP.

The Dr. said My only safe choice is tapering. I got medication for my Blood Pressure and they took an EKG since I have some numbness in my arm.
Everything is OK other than my addiction.

So. Since I can't go to inpatient care I am cutting back by one shot per night. When I get to a number where I can quit I will stop completely. The Doctor said if the withdrawals get real bad (hallucinations, etc.) then cut back by one shot every 2 days. I am thinking the day I do 4 shots is the last night. I cut out a shot the night before last just because I was trying to be good. I cut out a shot last night because of what the Doctor told me. Last night I woke up a 3am and also had a few terrible nightmares.

I have found AVRT to be helpful. Since I have a plan I won't let the "beast" or "it" make me deviate from my plan. Today I had some high anxiety and shakes because my body is used to more alcohol. It has not as bad as the first night I tried to go cold turkey and according to the Doctor, it is the only safe option I can do.

I know this has not worked for many on this forum but I will make it work.
I will keep you updated.

Thanks for everyone's support.

Brian
Old 01-08-2014, 05:24 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you went to the Dr.
Please tho - if you feel concerned about anything, or unwell do go to the ER.

Nothing is more important than your health - believe me, I wish I'd seen a Dr.

D